Ch138: Jordan's Motions

Maia lived here! How had he forgotten this? Was he really this stupid? Oh yeah, this was a great place to hang out and sulk about the end of his relationship, right where the person he'd cheated with lived. Jordan could have kicked himself.

"I'm sorry," Jordan said into the silence. "I should go."

"No," Maia replied at once. "It's okay. You just surprised me." She was smiling at him, kindly, no anger or pain in her eyes. It was all together rather strange. Jordan had expected a lot of emotions from Maia, but kindness wasn't one of them.

"You sure?" Jordan asked, stunned. Maia nodded.

"Well, didn't this just get awkward," Jace stated matter of factly.

"I'm sorry," Simon began standing up. "I should have suggested we meet up at your place."

"Probably would have been best," Jace whispered, just loud enough for them to hear. "Bachelor pad and all."

"It's really okay," Maia repeated. "I know you guys are friends." She gestured to Simon and Jordan. "There's no reason he shouldn't be here."

"Did you hear about-" Jordan began, wondering if she knew of the break up.

Maia nodded. "Alec told me."

"I see," Jordan said slowly.

"Are you okay?" Maia asked him.

"Not sure," Jordan laughed. "But I do know that I don't deserve your kindness. Aren't you mad at me?"

"What's there to be mad about?" Maia shrugged.

"In that case, maybe we should all watch a movie," Simon chirped in with great enthusiasm.

"I don't care what we do so long as it involves sitting," Maia sighed before walking over and collapsing on the couch. "My feet still hurt from my long morning shift, and to top it off - rather than sit and lecture today - my stupid prof decided we needed to move around and learn by doing. Urg! I bet he wasn't making up deli trays at six this morning."

"How's Alec doing in the sore feet department?" Jace asked.

Maia giggled a little before answering. "He's having scalding hot baths every night to ease his muscles," she grinned. "I know it shouldn't be funny but-"

"It totally is," Jace sniggered. "Don't get me wrong, I love Alec. Best friend a guy could have, but he can be such a spoiled rich kid sometimes."

"And what does that make me?" Izzy huffed.

"You wear heels," Jace reminded her. "I am sure walking in those for an hour is worse than 8 hours in proper runners." He paused, glancing once more at the look Izzy was still giving him. "Anyway, on that note, adios Amigos." He made a speedy exit after that, saying he'd see Jordan back home later.

"Well at least he's been paying attention in Spanish class," Maia laughed.

"I really don't think one has to pay any attention in Spanish class to know the phrase 'adios Amigos'," Izzy scoffed.

"What happened to he's like a brother to my brother," Simon asked Izzy. Jordan felt sure he was missing a joke of some kind.

"Estranged adopted brother," Izzy replied curtly.

"If you say so," Simon chuckled.

"I thought we were watching a movie," Maia whined. She was still sitting on the couch looking tired.

As Izzy and Maia began to scroll through Netflix looking for one, Jordan stood a ways away, unsure if he should just go or sit around for the movie. He couldn't get a read on Maia at all. Either she actually wasn't mad, or she hated his guts and had decided to play it cool. He couldn't help being on edge not knowing which it was.