Ch161: Izzy's Confusion

Apart from the slight concern that her parents were about to teach her the same lesson they'd just taught Alec, Isabelle was doing all she could to enjoy her summer break. It was only a little annoying that it felt like everyone but her was now done with school and ready to move on while she still had one more year left. Though at least Jordan and Paige were still going back with her in September, not that either of those people were speaking to each other or anything.

And now that she thought about it Clary would also need to go back because of her time abroad. Then again she wasn't really sure who was speaking to Clary at the moment either. She didn't have any proof, but something felt off with Clace recently.

Izzy sighed. "Friends are so high maintenance sometimes," she said to no one in particular.

She heard a laugh from around the corner and she knew it was her boyfriend.

"Talking to yourself again," Simon chuckled.

Izzy turned on the couch to face him where he sat at the dining room table with his laptop.

"Well, am I wrong?" Izzy argued.

"I know better than to say that," Simon smiled.

"Cheeky," Izzy grumbled. She heard his laugh again, then the chair scraping against the floor and footsteps approached. The next thing she knew Simon's arms were wrapped around her from behind. He was kissing her neck.

"Distracting me won't work," Izzy lied as she attempted not to be distracted.

"Oh yeah?" Simon replied slyly.

"Hmmhmm," Izzy mumbled. He'd moved down from her neck and was kissing along the bare skin of her arm. Izzy was suddenly very glad she'd chosen the sleeveless shirt today. His kisses always felt better without a silly shirt in the way.

"Skin to skin is my favourite sensation," Izzy purred.

"I know," Simon grinned. "Which is why it makes the best distraction."

Just then something happened to distract them both. There was a knock at the door. Surprised as she wasn't expecting Maia home for hours, Izzy walked over and opened the door. There stood Clary, with her knew short red pixie cut hair.

"Oh hey," Izzy said with a slight wave. Clary waved back, but there was something off and Izzy couldn't quite put her finger on it.

Simon had obviously over heard who it was as he was standing at Izzy's side just moments later with a casual greeting.

"Hey guys," Clary said with that odd smile Izzy couldn't place. "How's things?"

"What's wrong?" Simon asked in that way he did when he knew the other people were stalling. At first Izzy had been jealous of how well Simon still knew his ex-girlfriend's mood, but once she'd realized that he wasn't looking at her like an ex it got better. To Simon Clary was simply his best friend, and after that it hadn't bugged Izzy one bit.

"Nothings wrong," Clary replied. "Why would you think that?"

"Because you are doing that fake smile thing you do when you don't want to show you're upset," Simon answered easily.

"Okay, but still that's not why I came here," Clary replied. "I don't want to off load on you guys, I-"

"You want us to distract you from whatever is bothering you," Simon finished her sentence for her. "Well that's not gonna fly. I promise I won't stop asking till you explain so let's hear it. What's wrong?"

"Jace-" Clary began, her voice breaking through her eyes remained dry. "Jace broke up with me." She finally spoke all at once.

Izzy didn't quite take in the words. She'd sensed something was different, but she hadn't guessed it had gone this far.