False Claims and Promises

Shaking my head, I back away from the King in denial. "No, no, no. He can't be under his control."

While I suspected it, I still couldn't imagine it actually being true. I wasn't just a paranoid new wife! I was right!

"Can't we stop it! Can't we help him gain control again!" I whimper desperately, no longer embarrassed.

The King lets his head fall in defeat. "No...otherwise I would do it, trust me, I would." He looks up to me again with small tears in his eyes. "You and I, we are the same."

"The same?" I whisper sadly. "How?"

"We are stronger. Somehow! I don't know why, but the Beast tried controlling us and it didn't entirely work. I have been this way for a long time, that must be why I still remember while you do not, but you're still resisting, otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to walk in on them like that!" The King exclaims.

I slowly accept this and run a stressful hand through my messy hair as well, hating myself for looking so unpresentable in his presence. "You said I was walking in on one of their meetings?"

"Yes, that is how he maintains the control. He often visits and speaks to him in secret. I have only recently noticed, so I don't know how long it has been going on." The King responds, heavy-hearted.

"What do you think Carlos says in these meetings?" I ask with dread.

"Let's just assume...whatever we tell Carlos, the Beast knows without a doubt." The King says seriously. "Out of everyone in the entire castle, we can only assume that we are each other's only ally. The Queen is gone as well." This fact clearly is taking a hefty toll on him and I nod sadly and respectively in response.

"Though...it may not be quite too late for someone else in the castle." I gasp. A jolt of worry rushes through me.

Anything Carlos knows, the Beast could easily know. Genevieve!

I rush away, the King following close behind me in a confused state. "Oh God! Why couldn't I have known about this sooner!"

Was Carlos not telling his parents about his sister hiding here because the Beast compelled him to keep it a secret? If what the King says is true, he wouldn't have put her in any danger -

But...that could also mean the exact opposite.

I stop in my tracks and turn to the King. "How can I trust you?"

He stops and appears startled, but not completely offset. "What can I do that would convince you?"

I narrow my eyes. "Tell me what happened to my father."

He furrows his brows thoughtfully. "All I know is that he was in the custody of the Beast...but all I know is what was told to me by Carlos."

I sigh and let my arms fall in defeat.

There is absolutely no one that I can trust.

"And what of my stepmother and stepsister? Are they really in exile?"

The King shakes his head. "Not that I know of."

So either Carlos never told him, or the King is under the Beast's control and has been lying this entire conversation.

One thing is for certain, the King is right about one thing.

I am NOT under the Beast's control any longer.

And I will remember what happened that night.

"You know what, nevermind. I've had an absolutely exhausting day...I'd like to head to bed if I may be excused." I only murmur, curtsying to the King.

He appears disappointed but curtly nods, and silently turns away, walking away in stunned quietness.

I hurry down the hallway after he's out of sight and quickly approach Genevieve's door. I lift up my hand to knock. I should warn her...but if Carlos truly is under the Beast's control...and I've certainly had physical proof of it before my eyes...then she may already be gone.

Weakly, I let my hand fall. My chin trembles in defeat and worry as I turn to walk down the hallway back to my bedroom. Inevitable tears flood my cheeks as I solemnly approach the doorway.

How can I trust anything? Can I trust anything I see? Was that even Carlos that I saw or was it just a trick to fill my head with doubts? Maybe the Beast is just messing with me so that I give up...everything feels so helpless already, after all.

Perhaps, this night has not even happened.

What I do know is that if there wasn't a crack in the Beast's system, I wouldn't doubt everything. I would be under his spell and not doubt a thing.

That does bring other questions, however. The King claims to have doubts as well, but there is no way of knowing if what he speaks is the truth.

Carlos claims to have no doubts. He fully believes he's in control and that there is nothing to worry about...and he fully believes he's protecting his sister by keeping her locked away in a secret room...but how can that be? Genevieve completely believes that she is hidden, and there has not been much proof that convinces me to doubt her. The Beast wouldn't have much use for her anyways either....would he?

Unless he assumes she would become my confidant - my friend! He can get inside my head by influencing me to believe she can be trusted! That's why Carlos still keeps her cooped up! She's nothing but a trap!

I let myself slump to the floor, overwhelming feelings flowing through me like a raging tsunami. It's hopeless! Absolutely hopeless!

I finally look up when I hear the soft approach of footsteps. I recognize his neat shoes and the pattern of his stride immediately and compose myself the best I can before looking up.

"Husband." I greet him with a soft smile.

"Hun, what are you doing out here?" He says, concerned. He kneels beside me, genuinely breaking my heart with the sound of his incredibly convincing tone. He touches my cheek gently.

I don't know what to believe! I don't know what to believe...I don't know what to believe...

I don't flinch away from him and let him caress my face. "I had a nightmare and went looking for you...I couldn't find you." I whisper.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Charlotte." He helps me up and starts to pull me back to the bed.

"I promise. Next time, I'll be there for you."