Most Vulnerable

The cold cement couldn't have been a more terrible surface to lay upon. The coldness and dampness of it was unsettling, but the dread that filled the room was nearly worse.

It was at least a few hours before a visitor came and spoke to me.

I look up to see the King himself on his own. He peers down at me for a few minutes, shaking his head in pity. "Girl. It is not wise to speak against the Beast and expect no repercussion."

"Is that why you don't speak?" I grumble quite fiercely in return. "I suppose I see things differently. I don't choose to stand by and watch. That's nothing but cowardly, and I am no coward. Not anymore." I lean against the cold bars angrily, staring unflinchingly.

"And some would say...idiotic." He says after a thoughtful pause. "Stirring up matters you cannot fix is not exactly wise. Heroines aren't always wise, and they don't always succeed. Often, they're shut up and sent away where they can't stir up anything else. You just never hear of it." The King is neutral, but I see a spark of pity in his eyes.

"Is that what you want for me? To be sent away?" I ask coldly. "Just because I saw what everyone else was too weak to see?"

"No. You are officially married and have a consummated union with my son, as wished by the Beast." The King concludes. "But, you can't continue working against the Beast if this is going to work out, Charlotte."

"There isn't a universe where I would stop." I insist with gritted teeth. "How do you intend on stopping me? If I wasn't mistaken you were never even on the Beast's side! Why would you want to?"

"Right now, I stand on whichever side ensures my family's survival." The King says sternly. "And you will not mess with their safety. You truly believe it is out of the question for the Beast to wipe out this entire Kingdom and start from scratch?"

"I would have that much of an impact on him?" I say in a fake, doubtful voice. "Surely, he would just dispose of me and keep you all on your merry path."

"No, he won't dispose of you. That is the issue." The King leans closer to the bars. "You're far too important."

I scoff loudly, no longer caring of my demeanour around the King. "You just said he would wipe out the Kingdom? Wouldn't that include me?"

"No." The King replies darkly. "He will keep you. He has plans for you."

I roll my eyes and turn away from him. "Just tell me what is going to happen to me."

"You will meet with the Beast, and then he will set you free."

"I will meet with the Beast and willingly allow him to mind-control me, you mean?" I whirl around the face him. "I wonder if this all happened to you once. Rebelling, only to fail miserably and be controlled at the end like everyone else before you, and be erased of any bad memory of the Beast. He must be so entertained by this reoccurring cycle!" I accidentally spit in his direction, to which he shoots me a look of disgust.

"Resist, if you will, but it won't work." He says before leaving without a further word.

"Can I at least see Carlos first!" I screech after him.

The King pauses. "No. Your words took quite the toll on him."

I groan and fight against the bars helplessly before sitting back down on the hard, stone floors.

Little did I know he was unconscious just a few cells away...

* * * * * *

After hours of silence, I finally close my dreary, heavy-lidded eyes, only to be immediately awakened by a loud clanging.

Jumping to my feet only half awake I fall forward into the bars and use them to hold me up. "W-who's there?"

"Charlotte..." My husband's weak, husky voice echoes from my left side. I swore I wouldn't have heard him if it wasn't for the echo off of the stone, dungeon walls.

They locked their own Prince down here? Why would they do that?

I growl and hear a soft chuckle from Carlos. "You're chuckling at a time like this?" I screech.

"No. I suppose I'm just in shock." He mumbles half-heartedly. "I'm trying to make light of things." I could picture him shrugging his shoulders sloppily.

I wrinkle my forehead sympathetically. "I know...you're too sweet." And he truly is. I can't believe he let himself get in another cell beside me just for me. He could have denied everything I said, but instead, he stands by me. "I guess I should be thanking you." I say as casually as I can.

"No. That is completely unnecessary." He scoffs. "What insane person wouldn't believe those depserate...adorable green eyes?" He whispers softly.

His voice pleases me and I suddenly wish for his arms around my waist, hugging my head comfortably into his chest.

"You don't like me saying things like that?" He says, knocking me out of my daze.

"No! It's just that I can't...stand it."

"Can't stand what?"

"Being apart like this in a mess like this. I feel like I'm in some ridiculous fairy tale with an unnecessary conflict." I roll my eyes, the disgust evident in my voice.

He hums sadly and shifts his feet.

"I just feel so terrible-" My own sob cuts off the remainder of my sentence.

"Don't! Don't!" He protests, grabbing the bars in front of him harshly. "I can't have you feeling that way. We have to stay sharp at a time like this."

"And do what?"

"Beat the Beast, Charlotte." He says obliviously.

I shake my head. "No. That's not what we are going to do. We are going to lay low and do as we're told. We want to stay together, don't we?" My voice stays strict, and I sense the hurt they are inflicting on him, but the words must be said.

They know locking him up just a few cells down from me would bring out my intentions. It was no coincidence they placed him here with me. They know that I trust him...or at least depserately want to trust him. I ran up to him screaming insane claims I hoped he would understand!

But no, I can't open up to him. I have to do this on my own.

They won't even catch me at my most vulnerable, in a dungeon, and all alone.