Epilogue - Wedding Day

When Spring came the following year, the trees blossomed like never before. The garden on the side of the palace where Carlos and I first met never appeared more magical. The new gardeners were renowned for their abilities after all, and they are so unbelievably loyal to us. 

Carlos parents stepped down shortly after the revolution, allowing Carlos to take the throne when he was ready, his Queen at his side. Of course, a genuine wedding was in order to show the people who their new Queen truly was, despite my nervousness to appear as their Queen after everything that happened...

Regardless, a wedding is bound to happen, and I couldn't think of a better place than that glorious garden during the primetime of Spring. Carlos didn't dare to disagree. 

The morning of, I adorn myself with the same dress Genevieve allowed me to wear the first time around. It was a small tribute I could pay to her after everything that happened. Her unfair death is something I will remember always and it will always hang in the air, but I can do this for her at least, and I am thankful for that. 

"You look beautiful." The previous Queen stands behind me, her genuine self showing now more than ever as a proud mother. "I can't believe how lucky my son is." She winks lightly as she begins to help me with my hair. "He's going to lose his wits when you walk down that garden path." 

I smile to myself as the moment sits in. 

Today is my wedding day. My real one this time. 

Once my hair is finished, I spot the supportive Kingdom lining up at the gates to watch the marriage take place. I can't help but blush bashfully. We've come so far, and they've decided to stay with us. I couldn't be happier to see them lined up like that, just as happy to see me in my gown marry the King. 

"You'll never grow tired of it." The Queen says proudly behind me. "A Kingdom's love is nearly as satisfying as being the Alpha of a pack, I'm sure." She teases.

I scoff lightly. "Oh, it's definitely a close call. The pack is already here for the wedding?" I ask her nervously. "Yes, they're already lined up alongside the aisle, ready for the Queen and Alpha to bless them with her presence." She grabs my hand. "Come on, let's not keep them waiting."

I bite my lip. "Yes, let's not." 

*          *          *          *           *          *

I barely hear the roar of the crowd as I walk down the garden path. The blossoms of the red flowers spread across the aisle beautifully, but all I could stare at was Carlos ahead of me. 

"I love you." I mouth the words to him before I even make it to him. 

He smiles and returns the favour, saying it aloud for only I to hear. "I love you too." 

I join my hands with his the moment I am up at the altar with him, tears in both of our eyes. "I do." I say it eagerly, and so does he, joining us together for quite literally eternity. 

Who knows how long we will reign as King and Queen here, and who knows what children we may pass the throne along to, but we will not have to pretend to age, nor deny what we are. 

We are finally free, and we may stay as long as we wish here as the King and Queen....or perhaps, we'll just run off and enjoy the world just as Genevieve would have wanted us to.

We shall just have to wait and see what the world holds for us. 

THE END