Chapter 13: Get Yourself Together

"Where exactly are we going?" I ask Lucas as I fix my makeup in the mirror. Light and natural. Just how I like it.

"It's a bar." He appears in the mirror all the while smoothing his hair back.

"And do your parents know we're going to a bar?" I question already knowing the answer. They will never let us go to a bar.

"Of course not." He answers and I shove past him to view myself in the full length mirror. I am wearing a black jeans skirt that is about mid thigh and a sky blue tank top with a converse. Lucas wears the usual. A shorts reaching just above his knees and a dark blue jersey with a cap on his head. He grabs the keys on my bed. "Mom and dad's asleep and think we're asleep. Let's go."

I lock the room door, clutching the keys in my hand if in cases where Mrs. Charlotte wants to check on me. We go through the back door and make our way across the lawn to the car. Lucas told me the bar is ten minutes away and so it is.

I am surprise to see so many teens out here, drinking and having fun. It is loud and crowded and can be mistaken as a teen bar. The age group is no more than twenty four. Definitely a hotspot.

"Oh my gosh, is this place legal?" I whisper into Lucas' ear. He grins and pulls me toward a table.

"It is when they have fake ID's."

Figured. I notice everyone is dressed maturely and is hanging onto an older looking person that can pass as twenty one. We stop near a table and Lucas fist bumps a boy before they do a bro hug. I later notice it is the Andrew guy that we met on that hiking trip with the Pattersons. He gives me a hug and I tense. That is unexpected.

He draws back. "You remember me, right?" I nod.

"Andrew." I say and he grins. He then motions to four others around the table.

"This is Ella and that's her boyfriend Derek." Ella is a dark haired girl with bangs and a scar over her right eye. Derek is muscular and has a tattoo on his forearm.

"Hi." Ella beams, stands to hug me and I do the same.

"Sup." Derek nods my way.

"This is my girlfriend Chloe and Jack." Chloe is blonde and wears a loose dress that goes mid thigh. Jack has dark hair and a creepy smirk. I eye him while moving closer to Lucas.

"Everyone, this is Stella and Lucas. They're best friends so don't ask." They all roll their eyes with a smile. I sit between Chloe and Lucas, listening to everyone talk. Lucas puts a hand over my shoulders and I'm grateful for the warmth.

It is hot and sweaty in here but somehow I feel cold. Derek brings a tray of beer back and we all take one. Everyone gulps their drinks in no time. At some point in time, Ella and Derek start making out and I try my best not to look their way.

"Yow dude, foosball or nah?" Andrew hollers and they all cheer before they make their way to the foosball table. Leaving us girls alone.

I sit there a bit ill at ease, not knowing what to say. I play with the ends of my hair as I stare at the drops off water on the beer glass. "So, you two make a great couple." Ella pipes up. She's watching me closely. I force a smile and pick at the bracelet on my left wrist.

"Um, we're not. We're just best friends." I state, dryly then bite down on my lips. People often think Lucas and I are together.

"Well, that's too bad for him. He got it bad." She sips her beer, casually and my face is one of confusion. Huh?

"What do you mean?" I glance over at Lucas who is laughing and giving hi fives to both Andrew and Derek.

"He totally likes you." She states as she stares off at the boys. My heart starts racing and I can't tear my eyes away from Lucas. He looks happy.