Chapter 29

Are We Dating?

Wait. Did I hear that correctly?

Lucas brought me on this amazing journey throughout this beautiful garden and showered me with these heart filled cards. He could not be bullshitting me right now. Not when I wanted this to be true so much. I feared that it was all a joke.

The young boy always made jokes or say things that drove me over the edge but this...I was counting on this.

Lucas Patterson said he liked me and hinted it was in a non-friend way. I was shocked and didn't know how to react.

I would admit, from the moment he picked me up from my house, he was a bit nervous looking. Every other second or so he would glance at me or clear his throat. Nothing could explain the warmth I felt walking through that garden by his side. The way his eyes would find mine or his hands would brush against mine as we walked.

It was like fire against my skin and pleasure to my heart. It was whispers in my thoughts and a melody to my soul. Everything about him screamed at me. It was daring me to hold his hand or kiss his lips. It was urging me to speak out loud and tell him the words of my heart.

Still, I kept in line.

Instead, I smiled at his gestures or nodded to his voice. I stared into his eyes when he would stare into mine or hold his hand with my heart beating in my throat whenever his hand found mine.

The thing about Lucas was he was very hard to read. He was a natural flirt to me so when he cupped my face with his hands and stared into my eyes like he absolutely adored me, I would reciprocate and stare at him the same way. Then I would ruin it by remembering he had a girlfriend followed by confusion of his actions.

So when I heard him say he liked me, I froze and I thought about it.

I thought about myself liking him for two years and him feeling the same way but not admitting anything.

I thought about his personality and the way he would joke around just for the limited moment of seeing me flustered.

I thought about his very serious girlfriend who was probably waiting on his call.

And finally, I thought about food. Well, because I suddenly felt really hungry and confused.

So, I did the ridiculous.

I pulled away and started moving away from him. The tears were fighting against me and I wanted to let it all out.

I was crying for what could be and what couldn't be.

I was crying for what is and what was.

I was crying for what I heard and what I didn't hear.

I was a mess.

"You should probably get back to Casey." I told him while backing away. Why did I say that? Because you refuse to think he likes you back. You've been telling yourself he didn't like you in that way and now you're shocked with the prospect of the opposite.

"I don't want to go to Casey." He replied with a stern voice and I ran my hand through my hair, nervously.

"Lucas, just go. If she knows you are here she will probably think you're choosing my attention over hers and you will lose her." I choked out, although wanting him to protest against it.

I was saying those things but wanted him to do the exact opposite. I wanted him to choose me over her. I was testing the waters and it could only go two ways. Either he gave up and ran back to Casey or he chose to stay here with me.