Chapter 18

When Life Plots Against You

I know there is a bottle of vodka somewhere here. I have seen it just three days ago. I think it was a leftover from when Lucas and I played never have I ever a few weeks ago.

I just need something strong to make me forget the sight I saw at the hospital. It reminds of last year when we volunteered at that same hospital. There was a young boy who was just as sick. He didn't make it.

Another reason why I need the vodka is to get my head on straight. After Lucas dropped me off last night, I was a hot mess. What made it worst was that all I wanted him to do was to wrap me in his arms and whisper comforting words until I fell asleep. I wanted to kiss him when his lips came way too close to mine.

But I can't do that. Because he has a girlfriend that is most definitely not me.

I open the cupboard in the bottom and if I remember correctly, we hide it in a popped board. I shove my hands in the spacing of the board and my fingers wrap around a bottle.
I pull it out and...bingo! I unscrew the cap and pour some out into a glass. I take a sip then grimace. With a huge sigh, I empty the entire bottle into the sink.

This will not help my problem. Not permanently anyways.

The front door opens and I quickly try to hide the empty bottle of vodka that I most definitely did not drink. Mom would think differently though.

I am relieved to see it is Lucas who strides in. He's...get a grip!

His beautiful green eyes dart between me and the empty vodka bottle. He arches a brow. "Drinking without me, Gummy. What's the occasion?"

I smile while playing with the tips of my hair. I am about to answer but when I step forward, I slip almost crashing into the counter. Lucas grabs me and his hands hold onto my waist tightly.

My face is inches away from his and my heart pounds in my chest. At the last minute, I reach up and kiss him.

I really do expect him to push me away. To tell me that I am losing my mind and that I have to rethink our friendship.

That, he does not do.

He actually kisses me back. My hands go around his neck and he backs me into the counter.

At that brief moment between steps, he gently pushes me away. As if something in him clicked. The sane part in him that I lacked, clicked.

He laughs awkwardly, his hand rubbing his neck nervously. "Um...Stels? Did you really drink the entire bottle?" He asks and I squeeze my eyes shut. Of course he thinks that I'm drunk. Of course every time I try to give him a hint, it always plays out to be me being drunk.

I clear my throat. "I really do stupid shit when I'm drunk, right?" I say as I look of ways to escape.

"Not stupid things. Questionable things?" He corrects and I watch him closely. He looks deep in thought.

"I'm going to bed. I'm tired." I don't wait for an answer. I leave him in the middle of the kitchen confuse.

***********************************

"So wait! This happened twice!" Rhen shouts and I glare at her.

"Yeah, say it one more time but louder. I don't think Lucas heard the first time!" I whisper shout at her. We are in my room and I am finally telling her how dramatic my life became.

"So both of the time you kissed him, he played it out to you being drunk?" She asks while leaning against a pillow on my bed.

"Well the first time, I was actually drunk. I just remember myself kissing him." I explain then adds, "Who wouldn't remember kissing Lucas of all people though." I go on, discreetly looking out the window then turning to face Rhen again.