Chapter 25

No Tears Left To Cry

I sat on my bed staring at the lavender walls. My hair was in a tangled mess and my eyes were slightly swollen from the tears I shed last night. Connor was really upset with me and I was pretty sure he would tell. Which would result in Casey hating me than she already did.

I brushed my hair off my face before heading to the bathroom to start my normal morning routine.

When I arrived at school I was a bit hesitant. What if Connor did tell Lucas or Casey? As if on cue, Connor came walking down the halls with Casey next to him. I opened my locker hoping that they would just pass me by but of course that wouldn't happen. This was the universe I was dealing with here. It hated me.

"Stella." Casey said. "I'm really sorry about last night. I was out of line and shouldn't have behaved the way I did." She apologised and Connor turned to me with an arched brow.

"Well since we're confessing our mistakes, Stella would you like to go next?" I glared at him. He was now being a jerk, I see. He glanced at his sister who had a confused look on her face.

"I'm late for class." I muttered before walking down the hallway to my biology class. Lucas was already sitting in his usual seat and I made my way to the seat next to him. Did Connor tell him?

"Aye. What up, best friend?" He greeted, wiggling his fingers to show off his promise ring. "Pretty rad, right?" I smiled a little, still nervous.

"Hey." I said, lamely. Seriously I sounded like an idiot. I needed to chill. Connor didn't rat me out. Yet. I think.

"What's popping?" He asked, tossing a packet of gummy bears to me. I almost dropped it as I sat in the seat next to him.

"Nothing much." I answered with a shrug. I was trying to keep the conversation at a minimum because my heart was making an attempt at the track and field Olympics. To say I was worried was an understatement. Whether Lucas found out I liked him or not wouldn't matter. I had to tell him sooner or later.

Or I could just skip the country and run for dear life. Sounds pretty good to me.

I felt my hair tugged and I returned my gaze to Lucas who was staring at me. "Hmm?" I asked and he shook his head, grinning. He was chipper this morning. How...nice.

"You thinking about me in there?" He asked and my heart skipped a beat. Yes, yes I was.

"You wish." I answered as I tossed a gummy bear in my mouth. At the exact moment, Mr. Dalton came strolling in. So I guess Ms. Arnaud wasn't in today. Great. Another boring day in class filled with lousy jokes.

"Anyone wants to see the video I've been working on?" The entire class groaned and Lucas rolled his eyes.

"Seen it before and still wouldn't be impressed." Lucas answered, casually while some kids chuckled.

"Heard your attempt of humour before and I'm still not impressed." Lucas' smile dropped.

"Heard you're friends with Ms. Camille for two years and she's still not impressed." The one and only Michael Hunt replied with clenched jaws. The entire class erupted in 'ohs' .

"Michael, I'm not really into this banter you want to start here, so if you don't mind, please be quiet." Mr. Dalton told him with an irritated look.

"And Ms. Camille isn't really into you but you don't really care, now do you?" You could've literally hear a pin drop. The entire classroom was silent while taking in the exchange between Mr. Dalton and Michael.

"Michael, let's not go any further with this disrespect. I would really like to keep you in for the entire class."

"I'd rather not stay but whatever you say, Dalton." He shrugged, looking out the window. Mr. Dalton stared at Michael for a while.