Chapter 27

Explanations & Apologies

It all happened fast. The entire day was a blur. I felt terrible. Nothing had been so triggering in my life until now.

It started with a knock on my door. I looked up at the clock, pausing for a moment. I sat up on the couch with a book in hand as I scanned the hallway. Who could it be at this time of day? It was nearing five and mom wouldn't be home until nine.

I rose from the couch, dragging myself down the hallway. With a loud sigh, I opened the front door.

A tall woman dressed in jeans and a simple t-shirt stood before me. Her hair was up in a tight bun and her eyes looked tired. Her face was neutral but it was also slightly red as though she was crying. "Hi." I greeted unsure that she was at the right house. She didn't look familiar at all.

"Hello." She said in monotone. "This was to be delivered to you from Harrison Greggory." She told me and I shrunk back. So he was trying his luck with letters now?

"I don't-" I started off but was cut off by the woman's pleading voice.

"Just take it." Her shoulders sagged and I unwillingly took the letter from her hands. "I'm so sorry." She muttered before leaving me dumbfounded. Huh?

With a tired sigh, I closed the door and made my way over to the couch. I tossed the letter on the coffee table before returning to my book. Whatever was in that letter could wait.

"So you and Lucas haven't work this out yet?" Mom asked as she stuffed her face with mashed potatoes.

"Mom, I told you it's not that simple. Lucas said a lot of things that kind of threw me off." I told her while sipping my cranberry juice. After our talk last night, mom agreed that he was quite harsh. She also thought that we should work it out.

"Honey, you guys have been friends for two years. I'm sure if you guys have a civilise conversation all will be well. You two were angry and said hurtful things."

"Mom, I don't feel like dealing with this right now. He was the one that said all those hurtful things not me." I was now tired with this conversation. Mom wanted to put a band aid on Lucas and I's broken friendship. The only problem was, she needed a cast because our friendship was broken and was going to take a while to heal.

"I understand that you weren't happy with what he said. Honey, I'm not happy with what he said either but you guys have to talk at some point. Now is much better than later." She explained and I stab at my stake out of ignorance. "You said some things about his girlfriend, no?"

I stared at her. Why was she asking me this and I already recited Lucas and I's entire fight yesterday. Well, some of it. "Yes." I sighed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Exactly. I'm sure he felt the need to defend her. He loves her and prefer to be ignorant about the truth." I gulped, feeling a heavy weight on my heart. He loved her, didn't he? "Him telling you all of that was because he didn't want to hear anything bad that would have to force him to not love her." Tears were in my eyes as I glared at the plate in front of me.

"But I'm his best friend." I whispered as I fisted the table cloth.

"I know, sweetheart. I know. It still doesn't give him the right. But I hope you understand the possibility of why he said what he said." I nodded and wiped my eyes.

***********************************

I threw the letter on my study table over at the corner. Grabbing my book, I went over to my bed with a frown on my face. I had five pages left. It had been a great journey throughout this book. Now I was five pages closer to the finish.