Chapter 21

A Date To Remember & A Mistake To Be Sorry For

Lucas and his dad were arguing next door. Their voices were muffled but they were loud. Mr. Allen's voice was dominant over Lucas' though. I could tell from the force of his voice that he was really angry and that was rare. Mr. Allen was a cool dad who joked about anything and everything. So this could only mean that Lucas messed up bad. Whatever he did riled up his dad.

I caught the words 'uncle' and 'money' which really made sense in the same sentence. Lucas might've mentioned something about his uncle and dad a year or so back.

I tugged the curtain close, padding over to my bed with 'The Year I Became Isabella Sanders' novel in my hand. I was almost finished with the book and so far it was amazing. I managed to read six hours without break last night instead of studying.

As I laid in bed with a book hovering over my head, the notification of a message came in on my phone. I typed in my password quickly then checked my messages. A small smile appeared on my face as I stared at Connor's text.

Connor: I feel like you owe me big time for bailing today :-)

Stella: Again, I'm really sorry :-(

Connor: Well you could always make it up to me by having breakfast with me

I sat up in bed, grinning widely.

Stella: Then it's a date ;-)

Connor: Awesome

We texted for a bit about the details for our date tomorrow. As I grinned into the phone, a loud crash sounded next door and I jolted, pulling the sheets and my knees up to my chest. What was going on, Lucas? What did you do?

I tried calling him after the argument died down to make sure that everything was okay with him and his parents but he wasn't answering. It went straight to voicemail the ten times I called. 'Hey this is Lucas and well there are two reasons why we're not speaking right now. One, I'm probably not near the phone and is too lazy to get it or I just don't want to talk to you right now. Yeah I'm evil like that'.

I threw the phone on the pile of clothing on the ground, completely worried. Maybe he didn't feel like talking to anyone.

***************************

I stood in the mirror as I placed my hair in a ponytail. I was wearing a pink skater dress with a floral print and black flats. I had thirty minutes to meet up with Connor at Daron's mom's restaurant for our date.

I slowly made my way down the stairs before stopping in my tracks as I heard laughter coming from the kitchen. I listened in for a while. "Ms. Grayson I can assure you I'm a great cook." Lucas laughed as my mom laughed along.

"Yeah, is that why you almost burnt down my kitchen trying to boil water." I snorted, covering my mouth to hide a laugh.

"Okay, in my defense, I was just warming up."

"Yeah, right."

I strolled into the kitchen, pretending I didn't just listen in on their conversation. "Good morning, mom." I hugged her tight then turned to Lucas. "Morning." I went in for a hug and boy did he smell good. My eyes closed involuntarily as I continued hugging him with no sign of letting go.

He kissed the top of my head then rested his chin on my head. "You look nice." His voice was muffled and my heart skipped a beat. I nodded, wordlessly. My eyes opened and I saw my mom's narrowed eyes fixated on us. I cleared my throat and pulled away. My mom gave me a small smile. It was so small it was barely there. But I did see it. Her eyes held a sort of mischievousness.