Chapter 20

That Lingering Feeling

"What am I supposed to tell Connor? I've been rescheduling so many times." I whined. He had a cheeky smile plastered on his face with a hint of smugness.

I dialed Connor's number then pressed the call button. It rang for a bit and I tapped my feet nervously. Would he be mad? Oh my gosh, Lucas was such a spoiled brat.

He finally answered and I bit my lip, glancing at Lucas who rolled his eyes dramatically with a hint of a smile gracing his lips. "Hey."

"I'm sorry I'm a bit late but I'll be there in two minutes." I closed my eyes with the feeling of a complete jerk. How do I say this? Lucas took the phone away from my ears to put it up at his and I heaved at him. I tried prying the thing out of his hand.

He gave a strained laugh as he kept his eyes focussed on the road while still trying to pull the phone away from me. "Give me that." I shoved him in the side, grabbing the phone out of his hands. I brought it up to my ear while glaring at him and he chuckled to himself. He pulled over on the side of the road, bringing the car to a stop.

"Listen, can we reschedule?" I asked, feeling like an idiot. "I'm..." I was a terrible liar which was why Lucas always took up the role.

So maybe that's why I looked at Lucas for help. He shrugged and I slapped him on his leg and he jolted in his seat. He started pumping his arms and my brows furrowed. What the...? "I'm..." I fumbled with my words as sweat beaded on my forehead. "I'm running?" It came out like a question and I grimaced. Lucas gave a thumbs up then mouthed something. "Mountain." I whispered, completely confused. What did that have to do with this?

He shook his head, face palming himself. He mouthed the word again and I nodded. "I'm running mom!" I shouted into the phone as quickly as I could and I grimaced. I cleared my throat. "I um, I'm running an errand for my mom. Yeah, that." For the love of fluffy bunnies, what the hell was wrong with me? Lucas threw his hand in the air as he stifled a laugh.

"Oh. That's okay then. I was looking forward to our date but I guess we can reschedule." He agreed and I felt like hauling myself out the moving car. I was a horrible person.

"Okay, bye. Yeah. See you." I finished and ended the call. I brought my knees up to my chest, laying my head on it for a while.

"Stella, do you clean this seat?" Lucas reprimanded with his lips pressed into a thin line while eyeing my feet on the seat that was still tucked into my converse. I raised my head slowly with a straight face.

"Lucas, do I look like I care about the stupid seat?" I asked, challenging him. He raised his hands in front of him in defense with a small smile. He started up the car then pulled off onto the road again. He kept glancing at me throughout the whole car ride and I sat there fidgeting at his behavior. He then reached down to the radio and placed a CD in there. I narrowed my eyes at it. He pressed a few buttons before sighing and leaning back into his seat.

An instrumental came on and I perked up, slowly turning my head to Lucas. He did not just play that. Ignoring what was about to play, I dropped back into my seat with a dramatic sigh. I really wanted to sing. I was gritting my teeth so hard it felt as though it would crush under the the pressure. He knew I would want to sing. That little...

"She pulls me in enough to keep me guessing." Lucas sang softly and my head whipped across to him in shock as he drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. "And maybe I should stop and start confessing. Confessing yeah." My mouth was opened wide with invitation for the world of insects to take up residence.

Lucas who hated the idea of Shawn Mendes was singing his songs. I freaking knew it! I knew he used to jam out in his room to Shawn. Freaking dude probably wore his favorite tight skinny jeans and sweater to go all fangirl behind locked doors.