Her Boss's Baby-Chapter Three

"This is impossible." Jane tossed her cards on the table and watched as the chips that sat in the center of the table were raked in. "How the hell are you doing that?" 

Trudy Wolf laughed, "Honey, I know cards." 

"I see that." Jane studied the woman across the table. She'd expected to find a little old woman wasting away with her disease. She'd been very wrong. 

Trudy Wolf was six feet tall, with white blonde hair, and piercing blue eyes. She may have the early onset of Alzheimer's, but in Jane's opinion, she still had a very sharp mind. Enough to take the pot on six straight games of poker. 

"You know," Jane pushed back from the table, and moved to refill their tea cups, "I have a weekly game of poker I play with my brother and some friends. I usually don't do too bad, I don't think I've ever lost so many hands in a row." 

"I need a cigarette." The older woman pulled herself up using her cane, and hobbled towards the french doors off the living room. 

Jane carried their cups out to the patio. They settled on lounge chairs near the pool. "This is such a beautiful house." She pointed to the large barn at the other end of the huge yard, "Are there horses?" 

"Only two left." Trudy answered as she lit a cigarette. She held out the package, "You want one?" 

"No, thank you." Jane sipped her tea, and enjoyed the mild evening air.

"What is your relationship with my son?" Trudy asked, bluntly.

Momentarily startled by the questions, Jane searched for an answer, "Um, he's my boss." 

"Just your boss?" the old woman asked, "Or is there an office romance?" 

Jane laughed, "Uh, no, nothing like that. He's just my boss." 

"Why?" 

"Why?" Glancing over at Rain's mother, Jane felt intimidated by the woman's overbearing expression. 

"Yes, why aren't you sleeping with my son?" 

Jane's jaw dropped. To say the woman was blunt was an understatement. "Well, uh, because he's my boss." 

"So." Trudy took a drag on her cigarette, and blew out a long stream of smoke. "You like him?" 

"Uh, sure, as my boss. Honestly, Trudy, I haven't really thought of him in any other capacity." 

"Well, that's foolish." 

"Why is that?" 

"He's a good looking rich man." Trudy finished her cigarette and pushed to her feet again. 

Jane followed the woman across the yard to the barn. Since arriving at the house, it had become apparent that Trudy Wolf was not a woman who sat still. She was constantly moving. In the four hours they had been there, they had taken the dogs for a walk, cooked dinner, played six games of poker, and now they were heading down to the barn. 

"My Rainier, he's had a hard life. His father left when he was young, and I had to raise him by myself." Trudy glanced over at her, "Did he tell you how he made his money?" 

Jane shook her head. 

"I started a cleaning company, years ago, when he was about ten. Rainier worked with me cleaning houses, and eventually office buildings later on. We cleaned this investment brokers office, and one evening the guy started talking with Rainier. I think he was fifteen." They reached the barn. 

Trudy flipped a switch on the wall turning on the overhead lights along the middle of the barn. A horse peaked out from the first stall on either side of the aisle. "We had this place full of horses, but we had to sell the others. Rainier didn't want them to be neglected since I can't ride anymore."