Her Boss's Baby - Chapter Twenty-Four

She was floating. 

Jane blinked her eyes open and groaned, closing them again as pain shot through her head. "What happened?" The empty room didn't answer back. 

She tried to lift her hand to rub her head only to find her wrists were bound with clear plastic zip ties. As she tried to pull herself up to sit, she found her ankles were also bound. 

The room shifted, lifting and then slamming down suddenly. "Oh, my God," she gasped, "what was that?" 

She tried to force her mind to focus. Where was she? A small kitchenette sat across from the small bed she lay on. A few wooden cabinets scattered around the tiny room gave her no further clues.

The room was moving. Moving fast by the feel of it. Where was she? She wondered again. A plane? No, this didn't look like the inside of a plane.

A boat! She was in the galley of a boat. Carefully pulling herself up to sit on the edge of the bed, she looked around the room again. Near the front of the room sat a short staircase, the hatch above was closed. A door to the right led off to what she guessed to be a bathroom. 

Why was she here? She remembered the spa, the massage, the mud bath, the hair salon, the nails...but after? She'd drank the lemon water, she thought, and felt drowsy. "There was something in the water." She whispered. "Jamison...Jamison was at the spa." 

The engine sputtered and died. The boat slowed to a stop, above, the hatch opened, Nicole descended the stairs, "Jane, I'm glad you're awake." 

"What happened?" Jane demanded. 

Jamison entered the galley behind Nicole. They both wore Camouflage pants and Army green shirts, "Hello, Jane." 

"Jamison, what are you doing here?" Jane demanded. 

Jamison knelt down in front of her and checked the ties on her ankles and wrists. "This is the finale for you, dear Jane." 

"What do you mean by finale?" 

"You've probably figured out, my dear Jane, you are on a boat. What you don't know is that we are now twenty miles from shore." 

"You're planning on leaving me here?" Jane struggled against the ties, but the plastic only cut into her skin. She watched Jamison, he looked so different from the man who had been her brothers roommate. 

The boat pitched sharply causing everyone to grab for support. "We got to go, sweetheart," Jamison said, "that storm is almost here." 

"Storm?" Jane shook her head, "What storm?" 

Jamison ignored her, and continued his monologue. "When my sister was hiding in her house from her stalker, she called me. I was too far away to save her. I was here, in Los Angeles, serving my country. A country that let the man go so he could kill her." 

Jane remembered reading the court documents. The call between Samantha and Jamison had been her last, and had ended moments before her death.

"I am not an unreasonable man, Jane, I know my sister could have done more. She could have fought back more than what she did." His green eyes bore into hers, "The day Thomas Zachary killed her, she had gone into the corner of her house and hid. She should have at least gotten the gun I gave her. She was a crack shot..." He shook his head, "I am giving Rain Wolf the same opportunity to save you that I had to save my sister." He nodded to the phone, "That's a burner phone with exactly five minutes remaining on it. If you can reach it, you can call Rain."

Jamison stood and climbed the steps, pushing the hatch open. 

"Nikki don't do this." Jane pleaded with her friend.