Her Boss's Baby - Chapter Seventeen

"Where's your dog?" Allison asked as she followed Jane down the hall towards the office. 

"Brian took him back." Jane answered, "Max is his training dog. He uses him to train all the other dogs." 

"So you are alone?" 

"Yup." Jane waved to a file box sitting on a chair. "Those are for you." 

"And this is for you." Allison sat a box she had carried in with her on the edge of the bed. She pulled open the top to reveal a brown paper bag. With a grin, she lifted it. "I brought you a present." 

Jane took the bag, and unrolled the top. "Oh, chocolate eclairs?" 

"I made them for you." 

"You made them?" 

"Yeah, its my mom's recipe." 

"Do you have time for a cup of coffee?" Jane asked, "We can have a few of these." 

"Uh, no." Allison answered, "I promised Mr. Wolf I would accompany him to a dinner party tonight." 

"Excuse me?" Jane couldn't have heard the assistant right, "Rain is in Flagstaff." 

"Oh, no, he got back yesterday." Allison spoke as she headed for the door. "He's been over at our...I mean his apartment." 

Jane stared after the girl as the door closed. She knew his interest had been waning, but she hadn't suspected he had taken up with the much younger assistant. "Why am I surprised?" She asked herself. Without hesitation, she dropped the bag of pastries the girl had given her into the trash can. "No way I'm eating anything that bitch baked." 

Taking a pint of ice cream out of the freezer, she grabbed a spoon, and headed back to her room. Crawling under the covers, she snuggled down with her daytime television. 

She should ignore Allison, she told herself, but she was having a difficult time of it. Was it true? Was Rain having an affair with the young assistant? It was possible, but...

Struggling off the bed, Jane carried her ice cream down the hall to return to the office. She found Rain's calendar. "He's still in Flagstaff." She murmured, "there's no way he would come all the way back when he has to be in court tomorrow morning." 

"Well," She waddled back to the freezer to return the ice cream, "he could have flown his helicopter or his plane." 

The babies kicked hard. "Ugh, okay, fine, we won't talk about that." She groaned as the doorbell rang. Waddling across the kitchen, she pulled the door open. "Shy!" 

Shyanne opened her arms, "Of course." 

"What are you doing here? I thought you were in New York this week." 

Shyanne waved a hand, "Oh, I got there, and they wanted me to do some long drawn out trial." 

"So, you turned them down?" 

"No, the defendant took a deal so I didn't have to testify." 

"Oh, that's good." 

"What are you doing?" Shyanne dropped her purse on the kitchen island, and jumped onto a stool," Shouldn't you be at that fancy party over at the Miles' place?" 

"What are you talking about?" 

"Janice Miles is having a charity dinner party at her estate." 

"Oh." So it was true. Jane felt as though she'd been punched in the stomach. She rubbed her belly, "I didn't know about it." 

"I'm surprised. I thought everyone was invited." 

"Were you?" 

"I work for Miles Enterprises sometimes," Shyanne shrugged, "Of course I was."