Chapter 4-Saved by the Enemy

At Wei Xing's mercy, Xiu Xiang managed to escape the guard's eyes and made it safely back to North Peak, however, came morning when there was no manuscript to hand over, Xiu Xiang was dragged away and tied to a pole.

Wang Yue stood off to the side and gave the order to whip Xiu Xiang ten times. The one to wield the whip was none other than Song Yi Yan. She was extremely talented in using the whip, but what she was more talented in was using her fake tears to move the hearts of others. She gripped her whip and with glistening eyes, her lips trembled slightly as she looked at Xiu Xiang pitifully.

"I'm sorry, Fourth Sister. Senior Brother has ordered me to give you ten whips. Please do not blame me," she said and wiped a tear away from her pale cheek. Some of the female disciples came to calm her down and while the male disciples scream profanity at Xiu Xiang for making their fairy cry.

Xiu Xiang could only roll her eyes at everyone. She wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of crying out in pain. Song Yi Yan swung the whip and the tip flew out. It brushed up against Xiu Xiang abdomen and then cracked loudly. Her uniform ripped open along with her skin.

The bitch was going all out! Song Yi Yan swung her whip again.

CRACK!

Another bloody gash across her body. Her eyes went blind for a second from the intense pain.

CRACK!

Xiu Xiang clenched her teeth tightly to keep herself from making a sound. Everyone was watching her with evil grins on their face. It was as if they found complete joy in her pain. Just what exactly was everyone's problem? Why did they all hate her so much to feel this way? She couldn't understand it. In that moment, she suddenly understood why the Demoness turned to darkness and never looked back.

She could hear an inner voice inside her screaming for her to accept the darkness and let it take over, but Xiu Xiang closed her eyes and willed away the hatred. She wasn't going to let this turn her. She wanted to live past thirty!

Just as she was cursing the heavens for putting her in such a position, a glowing sword flew from a distance and cut the whip that was just about to shred Xiu Xiang's skin for the fourth time. Song Yi Yan couldn't hide the surprise on her face as she looked around to find the source that had destroyed her treasured whip.

"Is this how North Peak discipline their disciples?" came a cold and sharp voice. Everyone whipped around at the sound of that voice. Xiu Xiang didn't need to look to know whose voice it was. Just hearing it once was enough for her to remember.

She looked up and tried to adjust her eyes. Standing several feet away from the North Peak disciples was Wei Xing dressed in formal attire. Without blinking, he raised a hand and easily caught his sword that had already flown back to him.

"Wei Xing! You dare to intervene in a punishment?" Wang Yue hissed as he stepped forward.

"Punishment? It looks to me like you were trying to kill her. What has she done to deserve lashings severe enough to rip skin?" he asked coolly.

"This is North Peak's business. West Peak has no right to get involved!" Wang Yue retorted.

"You're right. That is unless, a disciple's life is on the line," Wei Xing stated.

"Brother Wei, Sister Xiu Xiang broke the rules of the North Peak. It isn't the first time, so we had no choice but to punish her this way," Song Yi Yan refuted. Wei Xing's face remain impassive as his eyes traveled to Xiu Xiang whose face was completely pale. He didn't even know this girl but seeing the way she looked yesterday made him feel uneasy. He had purposely come over with an excuse from his master to drop off a letter when he saw the horror show. He didn't quite believe her story of being threatened but after seeing how she was treated, he realized how wrong he was.

"And what rule did she break exactly?" Wei Xing asked.

"That is..." Wang Yue struggled to find an excuse but found none. Then, Song Yi Yan stepped up confidently and with serene smile on her face, she replied, "Sister Xiu Xiang snuck out late last night and didn't return until this morning. It is only right that Senior Brother Wang punishes her for it."

"Is that so? North Peak punishes a disciple this severely for going out so late at night? Should I head directly to Sect Leader Lin to find out if this is true?"

All of the disciples gasped and looked guiltily at one another.

Master Feng Mian was currently in closed door cultivation, so Wang Yue was in charge. The truth was that the punishment for staying out late was only a meager ban on food for twenty four hours.

Song Yi Yan smiled sweetly and brought her hands together to show respect.

"What Senior Wei has said made us realize how severe the punishment has been. Thank you for helping us realize this. We'll note this and act accordingly next time," Song Yi Yan said. She nodded for the disciples to release Xiu Xiang. Two people quickly went to cut her down and they didn't even bother to catch her. She tumbled to the ground covered in dirt and blood.

"So, you all agree that those who've broken the rules should be punished, correct?" Wei Xing asked.

Everyone nodded in unison. Song Yi Yan opened her mouth to say something, but Wei Xing instantly disappeared from where he was standing and was now suddenly in front of her. A strange smile appeared on his face and Song Yi Yan couldn't help but blush bright red. Even she had to agree that Wei Xing was extremely handsome. He suddenly yanked the whip free from her hand and swung it down hard. It smacked across Song Yi Yan's body. It didn't rip flesh like when Song Yi Yan did to Xiu Xiang, but it would definitely leave a red scar.

No one said anything when Song Yi Yan was whipped. Everyone knew what position Wei Xing held within the sect. West Peak was managed by the sect leader who happened to be Wei Xing's master, Master Lin Hong. Wei Xing was his only disciple which meant that in the future, Wei Xing would become sect leader.

Song Yi Yan tumbled to the ground screaming out in pain. She was from a rich and noble family and has never once been hurt. Wei Xing would be the first to inflict pain upon her. She was furious and hated him to the core. How dare he hit her for that conniving slut, Xiu Xiang?

Wei Xing wanted to laugh. His whips didn't even cause her to bleed but she was screaming as if someone had stabbed her. Compared to Xiu Xiang, Song Yi Yan was overreacting. After the fourth whip, he finally stopped. He threw the whip aside and made his way over to Xiu Xiang who was struggling to get up. He sighed and pulled out another pill. He shoved it into her mouth and she graciously took it. She coughed a couple of times and then managed a small smile at him.

"Looks like I owe you my life again," she breathed.

"I was simply passing by," he lied. It was the first time he had ever lied and despite it feeling quite wrong, he tamped down the feeling. Once he was sure that Xiu Xiang was okay, he got back up to his feet and walked over to Wang Yue. He tossed a scroll over to him and said, "A report from my master to your master. One more thing, should I find out that you all are ill-treating disciples of Tian Ling Sect, I won't hesitate to bring this up to Sect Leader Lin."

Xiu Xiang watched him walk away as if he hadn't done anything at all. The thought of wanting to turn into the Demoness melted away. Maybe there was hope for the future as long as she stuck close to Wei Xing.