Chapter 39 - Where It All Began

Stuck in between a newly turned demon and a woman worse than a demon, Xiu Xiang wondered which heavenly being she had offended for her to end up in this predicament. 

"Xiu Xiang? You're Xiu Xiang?!" Song Yi Yan cried. eh stared back with wide eyes as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. However, that look of disbelief quickly turned into that of hate. She could still remember the burning pain and agony upon her neck and face when Xiu Xiang nearly burnt her to death in front of the cultivation world. 

It was only a few years ago when her looks were finally restored and people weren't pointing fingers at her as if they were looking at a monster. The pain and humiliation that Song Yi Yan had gone through was something she would never forget unless she wreaked the same destruction onto Xiu Xiang as she did her. 

If looks could kill, Xiu Xiang was sure she would be dead on the spot. She could sense the killing intent seeping from Song Yi Yan's body. One glance was all it took for her to know that Song Yi Yan held a burning torch of hatred for her. 

"You're still alive after all! Heaven is truly on my side to deliver you right to me. I'll return the favor ten-fold for what you've done onto me years ago!" No sooner had Song Yi Yan shouted her resolve, she charged right for her. 

Xiu Xiang dodged the incoming whip, missing it just by a second. The tip of the whip landed on Wang Yue, who was inches behind her. The whip cracked loudly but it wasn't until Wang Yue flung into the rock wall, creating a human indent that Xiu Xiang realized just how dangerous Song Yi Yan's whip really was. 

"You! You made me hurt Senior Brother!" Song Yi Yan roared furiously.

"Xiu... Xiang!" Wang Yue's voice sounded dangerously behind her. He crawled out of the human hole he created. His blood-red eyes swept the surroundings, landing on Song Yi Yan. A glint of recognition flashed in his eyes. A massive red aura swirled around his body, giving off a bloody odor. 

"What did you do to him? Why is Senior Brother like this?!" Song Yi Yan accused. She watched the man she had been in love with for years look at her like she was his number one enemy.

"I didn't do anything. He turned into a demon himself," Xiu Xiang hollered angrily. She really didn't do anything this time. She wasn't even the Demoness anymore. How could she possibly do anything? 

The more Xiu Xiang looked at Wang Yue, the more confused she was. Only one person was able to turn humans into crazed demons like this and it was the Demoness. This wasn't done by her so... 

A theory suddenly struck her. 

When Xiu Xiang took over the Demoness's body, she naturally assumed that the soul of the Demoness ceased to exist. What if the Demoness's soul never went anywhere but had been hiding inside her all this time? If that was true, when Xiu Xiang was reborn into her real body, could the Demoness's soul had somehow awakened as well? Was she actually somewhere closeby watching all this happen? 

A chill ran up her spine. If the Demoness had indeed been reborn as well, Xiu Xiang could only imagine the horrible destruction that the Demoness would bring. She would know because she had read it all. It was one thing to enjoy fiction, but to live it? To think she had enjoyed the utter mass destruction that the Demoness wrought within the novel. What was even worse, the hero who was supposed to bring about the end of the Demoness was no longer human. If the two of them were to join forces... Xiu Xiang didn't want to think about it.

She was so lost in her thoughts, she barely had the time to dodge WAng Yue's claws. The swipe of his sharp nails brushed against her shoulder, creating four bloody streaks. Her already tattered shirt was a sight to behold. The shoulder part of her shirt had turned into bloody ribbons from Wang Yue's attack.