Chapter 19-The Enemy's Suspicions

"Naughty, naughty. Looks like I'll have to get rid of you first before I can take that man for myself," Hua Jian said as he eyed Xiu Xiang. It was as if he could see right through her.

She then wondered why the Demoness didn't scout this Hua Jian. Unless, this was the real Hua Jian that the Demoness had scouted. If he really was, then they were in trouble.

"Watch out!" Xiu Xiang cried as she pulled both Wei Xing and Bai Qing by the arm. She had whisked them away just in time. The two were quite confused but when they were far away, they finally understood why Xiu Xiang had pulled them away. Where they had been standing before, there was a large crevice that was five feet deep and ten feet wide.

But Hua Jian hadn't even moved!

"How...?" Wei Xing's brows furrowed deeply. A smirk plastered on Hua Jian's face.

"My, my. You're quite troublesome, aren't you?" Hua Jian commented. Xiu Xiang glared back angrily at him.

"Sneak attacks are for losers," Xiu Xiang spat.

"A bit of advice, Darling. Those who strikes first, gets the advantage," Hua Jian said gently as if he was mentoring her.

"Then we'll take you up on that advice." Wei Xing swung his sword and a strong burst of energy emitted from his attack. It was bright and flashed like lightning as it struck at him. Hua Jian's eyes widen in surprise. The attack covered a wider range than his did. The entire courtyard lit up like fireworks as pillars and stones blew up upon impact. Once the light from the attack faded, Hua Jian was nowhere to be found.

There was a light chuckle right behind them and Xiu Xiang barely had time to raise her hand to stop Hua Jian's knife from striking her. The two of them made eye contact upon clashing.

Xiu Xiang's eyes sparked bright red as she glared at him.

"I see... you're one of us, aren't you?" Hua Jian asked. He looked quite surprised.

"Surprised?" Xiu Xiang asked.

"Legend has it, the child of the Demon King shall rise to lead the demons to paradise, however..." Hua Jian's eyes traveled past her and landed on Wei Xing's back.

Legend? Among the demons? Her? What a joke. She may be the demoness but she wasn't going to lead the same destructive life as the demoness.

Wei Xing whipped around and stabbed his sword forward forcing Hua Jian to stop pushing his knife down on Xiu Xiang. He jumped out of harms way and landed a good distance away. Hua Jian then put his knife away before he held his palms up as if in surrender.

"I know I won't win this fight so I'll surrender first," he said. He grabbed the jade flute from his waist and blew a few soft notes. The surroundings returned to normal and they were back in the original courtyard. Hua Jian's aura couldn't be felt anymore and he was gone into thin air.

"Is he gone?" Bai Qing asked fearfully. Xiu Xiang sensed her surroundings and when she felt no more demonic energy, she finally relaxed and nodded.

"He's gone," she replied. She heard Wei Xing snapped his sword shut with a clang. Turning around to face him, she said, "Thank you."

He took a long look at her as if he was trying hard to decide on something and finally nodded back in reply.

Ok?

Unsure of what that expression on his face meant, she shrugged it off and made her way into the manor. The three of them managed to find the real magistrate locked away in a small cell underneath the building. After explaining to the magistrate what had happened up above, he couldn't stop thanking them and rewarded each of them heavily. Only Xiu Xiang accepted the bag of gold while Bai Qing was too embarrassed to accept a reward she didn't deserve and Wei Xing merely handed off his portion over to Xiu Xiang, which confused her further.