Chapter 23-The Illusion Mist

With one of the five keys on her, she can freely enter the Cave of Inheritance. The only problem was, Xiu Xiang has only been to the West Peak once before and it was to sneak into Wei Xing's pavilion. Other than that, she didn't know her way around. Since she might run into people from North Peak, she decided to let Hua Jian mingle with the guests and keep them distracted while she searched out the entrance to the Cave of Inheritance.

Staying hidden within the shadows, she searched the grounds for any possible clues that might lead her to the Cave of Inheritance. She tried to remember what the author had written about the cave and a thought struck her. It was a chance she was going to have to take.

Xiu Xiang pulled out the white jade and released a small amount of energy into it. Almost immediately, it glowed gently. She turned in a particular direction and the glowing dimmed down. She made another turn and the jade suddenly glowed brighter. She had created a compass that will lead her directly to the Cave of Inheritance! How smart she was!

It was getting late and Wei Xing knew he needed to go out and greet the guests when he felt something warm pulse in his pouch. Frowning, he reached into his pouch and pulled out a piece of white jade, another one of the five keys that could open the Cave of Inheritance. He had placed a spell on it once to track the key that Xiu Xiang had stolen. Now that it was glowing, could it be that Xiu Xiang had entered West Peak?

He had forgotten all about his own wedding and stormed out of his pavilion, racing towards the entrance of the Cave of Inheritance.

Meanwhile...

"Ow..." Xiu Xiang rubbed her forehead softly as she stared at the transparent barrier before her. She was so excited when she saw how brightly lit her key had been and ran smacked dabbed into the barrier. Ignoring the throbbing pain on her head, she reached out a hand to touch the barrier. It rippled like the surface of a lake when she touched it, revealing just how large the barrier itself was. It stretched endlessly high up into the heavens. Beyond the barrier was a dense forest filled with a thick fog.

Xiu Xiang remembered that before she could even reach the cave, she needed to pass three trials. First, she needed to break the barrier surrounding the area where the cave lay hidden. Secondly, she needed to get past the forest lurking with demon beasts that had been locked inside over the years, and lastly, she needed the key which will open the stone door to the cave where a guardian demon beast sleep.

Breaking the barrier was a cinch and fighting against the demon beasts in the forest was breeze. Her real issue was the strange mist that lurked within the dense forest. It was an illusion inducing mist.

The mist was created by the first Sect Leader of Tian Ling Sect. Anyone who managed to get through the barrier will fall victim to the illusion created by the mist and most likely die from their own fears. Xiu Xiang frowned at the thought. Even if she didn't die from her own fears, she'll probably get killed by demon beasts before she could even break out of the illusion.

It wouldn't be long before everyone in Tian Ling Sect realized that she was trying to break into the cave. Just when she was debating on how to take on the trials, she heard a suspicious rustling noise behind her. She raised finger and aimed it at the rustling bush. A small fireball the size of a golf ball emitted from her fingertip and blared straight for the bush. It set the bush on fire almost immediately and a high pitch scream sounded.

A petite, thin figure dressed in yellow jumped out.

"Bai Qing?!"

What was she doing here? Wasn't she supposed to be getting married today?

Xiu Xiang quickly waved her sleeve at the fire she casted and it went out in smoke. She watched as Bai Qing dusted off the hem of her dress and picked up the satchel she had dropped. Was she running away from her own wedding?