Chapter 48-Life and Death Battle

The day went by slowly. It was late afternoon and Xiu Xiang had already seen all that there was to be seen. She decided that once she filled up her stomach, she'll head off to the next town.

Stepping into a bustling restaurant, she was led to a table in a remote corner. Soon the food she ordered came and she quickly scarfed it down. She was more than halfway done with her food when suddenly Li Yue and Chu Ling entered the main lobby. The two even sat at a nearby table. It seems that Li Yue was fuming at Chu Ling for escorting a certain pretty girl earlier that day. 

"If it wasn't for you, I was going to scratch her face off! Aren't I your betrothed? Why were you with that girl?!" Li Yue questioned him.

"Li Yue, I already told you, she was in trouble and I simply escorted her back to her group," Chu Ling frowned. The two of them had grown up together and studied together. It had always been known among their two families that the two of them would end up being married one day. The only problem was, Chu Ling found himself thinking about the girl in blue he met earlier that day.

While the two of them were fighting amongst each other, Xiu Xiang chugged down her last cup of wine then paid for her food. She just passed their table when she heard Li Yue shout at her.

"Stop right there!"

Xiu Xiang frowned as she turned around to face Li Yue.

"You're that girl from the jewelry shop! Even if you got rid of your mask and changed your clothes, there's no hiding your scent!"

Is this girl a dog?! What scent could she possibly be giving off?

"I don't know what you're talking about." Xiu Xiang decided to feign ignorance. It wasn't like she had proof.

"You're wearing a distinct herbal scent of someone who ingested spiritual energy rejuvenation pills! Along with that condescending pair of eyes, there's no mistaking it!" Li Yue pointed an accusing finger at her.

Well, there was no denying it now. Xiu Xiang smirked as she eyed Li Yue up and down.

"You're a lot smarter than you look. Good for you," Xiu Xiang said sarcastically. She whipped her hair back and started for the exit.

Li Yue jumped forward with her sword aiming straight for Xiu Xiang's back. Sensing the danger, she dodged the incoming blade. Li Yue ended up stabbing nothing but air.

"This is the second time, you've attempted to take my life. Since you're so adamant, I won't hesitate to return the favor!" Xiu Xiang said sharply. She was completely unhinged. This Li Yue was completely appalling. Xiu Xiang hasn't done anything to her but she continuously kept trying to take her life. A person could only take so much.

"Hmph! Let's see if you even have the skills!" Li Yue swung her sword, it rippled back and forth like a snake, aiming right for Xiu Xiang's face.

"Wait!" Chu Ling recognized Xiu Xiang and stepped forward to block the attack. His sword clanged against hers loudly.

"Ling Gege! What are you doing?!" Li Yue exclaimed. She couldn't believe that Chu Ling had stopped her from destroying that smirk on Xiu Xiang's face.

"Enough, Li Yue. She hasn't done anything for you to garner this much hatred. Why must you keep striking at her?" Chu Ling asked sharply.

Li Yue stumbled in place. Throughout the years that the two of them had been together, not once did Chu Ling question her actions. No matter how absurd her actions had been, Chu Ling has never reprimanded her.

Her eyes flashed toward Xiu Xiang. This woman had caused a rift between her and her darling Ling Gege. She wasn't going to take this lying down!

She pointed her sword at Xiu Xiang and screamed, "I demand a life and death match against you!"