Chapter 20

Zhuocheng had enough of this. It has been more than a week since he became depressed. He even caught Xiao Zhan was talking to Emily again for a couple of times. He didn't want to butt in so suddenly but whenever he asked what was that about, Xiao Zhan would brush it off as if nothing happened.

It was stressful and really upsetting. That's why Zhuocheng made sure to not leave his best friend's side at all costs and ready to shoo those pests that were bothering them.

Xiao Zhan wasn't looking the best, maybe even the worst. His disheveled hair were sticking out in all directions and his crumpled grey shirt was not looking so neat. He looked as if the life was suck out from him. Like a walking corpse- Zhuocheng shook his head in distress and puts a hand on his best friend's shoulder. "You should really stop thinking about anything that is connected to Yibo or that Emily."

"What? I wasn't," Xiao Zhan replied and after a few seconds, he zones out again. Zhuocheng heaves a sigh as he takes Xiao Zhan by his hand and drags him outside campus.

"I have to report at the professor's office," he said softly but didn't put any force from pulling away from Zhuocheng. "You don't have classes anymore, right?"

Xiao Zhan shakes his head and said, "No." Zhuocheng smiled and replied, "That's great, it's time for me to treat you. You should be grateful ah, I rarely do this." Xiao Zhan couldn't help but snort with his eyes slightly droppy. "Yeah, my best friend is so nice."

At least Zhuocheng knows that Xiao Zhan was willing to get out from that sorry and sad state since he's also making the effort to lighten the mood.

The two childhood friends headed out of campus and made their way to the arcade.

"Are we going back as children?" Xiao Zhan mocked as he turned to Zhuocheng as they bought tokens at the cashier. "What's the problem? You have a mind of a child?"

Xiao Zhan frowned and playfully punched Zhuocheng's arm,"Say that to yourself, Zhuocheng. Watch me as I beat your ass!"

"Bring it on!" The arcade was pretty huge, a variety of games can be played, shooting games, coin dozer, basketball, claw machines, racing games, and many more. It was like old times when the two of them will compete and count who got the most tickets. Xiao Zhan was really grateful to have Zhuocheng, who know what will happen if he wasn't there. Since Xiao Zhan tend to look down on himself to the core as his mind was clouding with anxiety.

Zhuocheng knew how Xiao Zhan can be greatly affected by words. He'd intake them to his heart and he'll carry it like a burden. Maybe the reason he became like that was back in middle school, when Xiao Zhan was bullied non-stop. Zhuocheng at first didn't know about it since Xiao Zhan never really speaks about his problems. Until one day, the bullying got worse and he saw how his own best friend was pushed at the fountain with his bag and notebooks were torn.

He was furious at that time for a lot of reasons. Firstly, it was because those damn bullies were assholes who were just jealous of Xiao Zhan being praised by the teachers for being a model student and they thought he was only making a façade on being kind to others. Second, he saw how Xiao Zhan never fights back and accepts it. It was painful to watch, being ganged up by six students, messing with you like that. And lastly, Zhuocheng was really upset when Xiao Zhan never told him about it. He felt betrayed. He thought they were friends? Don't friends have each other through thick and thin? Why was he hurting by himself? So from that day onward, Zhuocheng promised to himself to help his best friend in anyway with his capabilities.

"You were zoning out," Xiao Zhan said as he points the screen to Zhuocheng that has big GAME OVER. "Sorry, I was just thinking of something," Zhuocheng explained as he puts down the gun.

"Nostalgic?" His friend asked and Zhuocheng just smiled, "Yeah, that's why cheer up already!" He said as he crossed his arms. "I'm already happy, see?" Xiao Zhan points his mouth that's forming a smile. "You better be, come on. Let's see who can get that giant Totoro," Zhuocheng smirked as he points the huge stuffed toy resting on the top shelf of the prize section. "Hey, we're going to need 20,000 tickets!"

"Giving up already?"

"Who said I was?"

Believed it or not it was near to closing time when they actually ran out of money. Both of them hand tickets flooding on both of their hands. They went to the cashier and the lady gave them a look. She started putting the ticket on the machine to count it and it probably took them 10 minutes. There was a total of 19,981 tickets.

"What? We still didn't reach 20k?" Zhuocheng asked in disbelief. "I'm afraid not, well then, please chose a prize," the lady said and Xiao Zhan cleared his throught and ran a hand through his hair. "Hello miss, can you please keep give us the Totoro stuffed toy?"

"But sir-"

"I'm sure a generous and beautiful lady like you would understand, we're only short of 19 tickets and we're out of money. So please, I need that totoro to heal my broken heart," Zhuocheng was so close from wheezing as Xiao Zhan tried to persuade the lady with his charms.

It was obvious how she was flattered with the blush spreading through her white cheeks. "O-Oh is that so, well please keep it a secret between us," she said shyly as she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. Xiao Zhan gave her a dashing smile and said, "Thank you, miss. We're forever grateful."

She did gave them the giant totoro and the woman has truly fallen for Xiao Zhan. Too bad Xiao Zhan doesn't feel like dating anyone and politely bid farewell.

"I can't believe you've gotten cocky again," Zhuocheng laughed and Xiao Zhan just snorted, "What a waste if we didn't get it ah. Sometimes you should use your charm to get something."

"All the ladies love you," Zhuocheng commented as he rolled his eyes jokingly. "Not really? How about Li Qin? She never knew I existed," he joked. "Well, she already has a boyfriend, she can't afford checking out other guys, too."

Xiao Zhan shrugs and hums in agreement. "Fine, you have a point. But Emily though..."

Wang Zhuocheng stopped walking and sighed, "She's not worth thinking about. She's just jealous of you, Zhan."

"Why would she? She's a woman and I'm a man. What's there to be jealous of?" As much as Wang Zhuocheng doesn't want to talk about it since it's a sensitive topic for his best friend, but some things needs to be said, too.

"It's because Wang Yibo loves you. Of course she'd be jealous," Xiao Zhan pursed his lips and muttered, "Not anymore when he found out what I did."

"Xiao Zhan," Zhuocheng puts both of his hand at his best friend's shoulder, "You're not the only one who's wrong here. Yibo also did a wrong move. Did he really like you in the first place when he accepted your mistakenly sent letter?"

Xiao Zhan didn't reply as he looked at anywhere but Zhuocheng. "See? Both of you never liked each other on the first time. You get to like him when you were always together. You weren't the only one fooling him since he was also fooling you just by accepting a love letter he never had feelings for and you know what, Xiao Zhan."

"Why do you always know what to say ah?" Xiao Zhan joked. "Of course, dumbass. I'm not your best friend if I didn't know how to deal with you."

"Pfft- Fine, thanks, Zhuocheng," Xiao Zhan said as his eyes soften, "For everything."

"Want another best friend hug?"

"Sure," Xiao Zhan laughed and accepted the hug. For the first time that week, he finally smiled genuinely.

---
Sorry for the typos and please do point it out!