Chapter 22

Xiao Zhan was feeling a lot of emotions. He felt agitated, angry and relieved. It was messed up and all he can do was gape his mouth and looked embarrassing.

He quickly turned to his bestfriend beside him and gave him a meaningful look. Trying to get an explanation. "Don't ask me, ask him," Zhuocheng said calmly as he points his head to Wang Yibo's direction. Xiao Zhan frowned and almost rolled his eyes at Zhuocheng.

"Right, I'll be at the neighboring building. If you chicken out again, I won't talk to you for a month," he warned the other and before the latter can complain and weep for Zhuocheng to stay, the said man already left with a wave of his hand.

Xiao Zhan himself was glued on the spot. He didn't know what to do or say. He probably looked stupid as he awkwardly stood there, waiting for Wang Yibo to say something. He himself hates silence, it was too quiet to his liking. He gulps slowly as his adam's apple bobs up and down and looked everywhere but Yibo.

"Can you come closer?"

Xiao Zhan was currently staring at the ground and he really didn't know how to respond. He knew the man in front of him is looking dashing as always and his wonderful voice echoed in his ears.

"A-Ah? You know, I don't think I'm ready to talk-" before he could finish his sentence, he felt a warm hand grabbed his left wrist. Xiao Zhan didn't even notice how Yibo got so close. "Stop running away, please." His tone was in distressed and it sounded hurt. Xiao Zhan was speechless again but his eyes soften. Right, Xiao Zhan. Stop running away. There's no point. You've been dragging things too far.

"I..." He started, still not meeting Wang Yibo's eyes. "I'm truly sorry... I-I didn't know how to break it in to you. I w-was... Scared and everything was so new to me..." He stuttered and tumbled with his words as he looks down at the hand that was holding him tightly.

"I wish you could've told me sooner. Also, I'm sorry, too. I didn't listen to you at all and went on rampage," he replied and Xiao Zhan continued to look down. He didn't want to know what expression Yibo was making. Does he look angry? Sad? Disappointed? He couldn't just guess and yet, his voice sounded really sincere but at the same time, it hurts.

"Yibo, I was in the wrong. I really didn't mean it," He whispered and as he slowly raised his line of sight, he met a pair of brown eyes that shone as they saw the pair of black orbs met his. Xiao Zhan felt his heart started hammering inside his chest. He felt nervous and his stomach is feeling extremely jittery.

"You didn't mean everything that you said? Is that it?"

Xiao Zhan was blankly staring at the other and when he understood the question he just heard, he snapped off from his trance. "Yes! I m-mean, no! Wait, not that- Ah..." He facepalmed himself with his free hand and defeatedly sighed.

"Look, uh, Yibo, I really like you," Xiao Zhan started as he held Wang Yibo's hand that was gripping his wrist. "I know I dragged this whole thing for too long and I betrayed you. It's understandable that you'd get angry," he explained as he removes Yibo's hand. The other remained silent as he looks at Xiao Zhan.

"We can't pretend that nothing happened either. So, if there's anything that you'd want me to do, I'll do it." Wang Yibo slightly pursed his lips as he listened to Xiao Zhan. "I can't forgive you right away you know."

"I'm very much aware of that," Xiao Zhan replied as he shifted away from Yibo, making a one meter distance. Xiao Zhan looked at his worn out shoes as he waited for Wang Yibo to say something. "Be my boyfriend again."

Xiao Zhan didn't know if he heard it right but his mind was going haywire. He quickly shot up and looked at the other man, looking for any signs as if he was joking. He bites his tongue and after a few seconds later, he sighed. "Why would you want that?"

"Didn't I already tell you that I like you?" Yibo asked as he looks directly at Xiao Zhan. The latter avoided his gaze and clenched his fists. "Aiya, I'll do anything but that..."

"You said that you like me too, then how's that not possible?" The younger's tone was filled with distress as he voiced out those words. But despite that, he held back. "Yibo, aren't you mixing up your love in a form of longing?"

Wang Yibo was taken a back, mixing up my feelings?

"That's not-"

"Hey, it's alright. Haven't you always been lonely? Since you know, I've always been a rebound all this time?"

"What? I don't even get what you're talking about," Yibo asked as his brows furrowed. Did Xiao Zhan really thought he was a rebound all this time?

"Okay, I'll get straight to the point ah. You've missed miss Emily for a long time-"

"Xiao Zhan, I don't even like her anymore!" Wang Yibo couldn't take it anymore as he raised his voice and took a step forward. While Xiao Zhan on the other hand stepped backward.

"Really? Why are you always hanging out with her? Oh and let's not forget, you let her kissed you." Xiao Zhan hated this conversation. He despised it a lot, who was he to get jealous? He's being a damn hypocrite for blaming Yibo for this matter. But his chest just ached when he thinks about Emily and Yibo together. The fuck with how clichè he felt-

Humans tend to get hurt easily anyway.

It just didn't make any sense for Xiao Zhan either, on how Yibo can genuinely like him. All he found out when they were together was that Emily was an important person in Yibo's life during high school. He never got the full details about her, all he heard was how she played with his feelings.

Surely, she did something that made Yibo can't forget her. Besides, isn't it always better for Wang Yibo to end up with a girl? Xiao Zhan himself never dated anyone and even a guy before! Everything was foreign and and it was all messed up.

Besides, didn't Emily already tell him that she'll take care of Yibo? Xiao Zhan just really wants some closure and finally, letting his feelings go.

The silenced that surrounded them gave Xiao Zhan a clear answer. Wang Yibo's just confused with his feelings. He really doesn't like me in a romantic way.

"Can we just be friends? If that's possible?" Xiao Zhan whispered and of course, Wang Yibo could hear him. It was only the two of them anyway. "I'll give everything back and pay you for all the meals that you've paid. Also, I'll give back the necklace that you-"

Xiao Zhan was cut off as he heard Wang Yibo started laughing lowly. The other man had his head lowered and Xiao Zhan couldn't tell what expression he was making, his bangs were covering his face as he laughed.

But in all honesty, the laugh wasn't filled with the slightest bit of joy. It was filled with bitterness and hurt.

"You don't have to return them to me," Wang Yibo said as he composed himself and looked at Xiao Zhan. "I have no use of them anyway. Keep it and yeah, we can be friends."

That's right. Friends, isn't this what I asked for?

"Ah, thank you, Yibo." He mumbled. Wang Yibo didn't say anything as he motioned himself out of the back of the building. Implying that the conversation was over.

Just as he slightly passed Xiao Zhan, he stopped on his tracks and turned to face him. "Zhan-ge, I'm not giving up on you."

Xiao Zhan was speechless, he turned around to face Yibo but the other already continued walking as he left. The said man doesn't know if things turned out for the better or for the worse but one thing's for sure, Yibo doesn't really hate him.

---
Sorry for the typos and please do point it out! Plus, I'm feeling sick (again). Idk if this chapter made sense. Also, my city is in lockdown. Stay safe and healthy!