Company For Dinner

Reesha

I had just pulled up to my mother's cobblestone house and parked my Range. I looked in my overhead mirror fluffing my spiral curls. I stepped outta the car and shut the door, locking them behind me. I held my Tom Ford's tote in one hand while I held my phone in the other. I walked up the walkway and looked at my mother's rose bush. They were so beautiful. She had a green thumb. I took my key and let myself in and I smelled the aroma of her cooking. I heard my stomach growl and I knew I was gonna enjoy this Sunday dinner.

"Momma."

"In the kitchen Reesha."

I headed in that direction and stopped in my tracks when I saw the feast she had prepared. I mean it was only me and her so I was confused as to why she had cooked so much food. She had green beans, collards, mac&cheese, barbecue wings, potato salad and home made honey butter rolls. Then to top it off she had made a peach cobbler and of course she had made a pitcher of sweet tea.

"Uh momma, why did you cook the grand buffet? I mean it's just us you feeding." I said as I walked over and kissed her cheek.

"Oh we have company coming for dinner." She turned and smiled at me. Something about the way she was smiling had me narrowing my eyes at her.

"Momma I know you didn't invite one of those so-called church men for dinner." I said as I used air quotes.

"No I didn't, so you can relax. Since you in here how bout taking all this food and placing it on the table."

"Okay. I smoothed my hands down my light colored skinny jeans and started grabbing dish after dish. I had finally finished putting the food on the table when my mother came out.

"Anything else you want me to do?" I asked looking around.

"No. You look gorgeous by the way."

"Thanks momma."

The doorbell rang and I looked at my mother suspiciously.

"Reesha get the door while I check on something in the kitchen."

I nodded and walked towards the door. I swung the door open and stood there blinking like a idiot. While I was blinking he was smirking. He pulled on his chin hairs and studied me for the longest.

"You do know its not polite to stare at people." I stepped to the side so he could come in.

"Is that right?"

"Yes Yung that's right." I rolled my eyes and glared at him.

I'm so gonna kill my momma for this. I thought to myself.

August

I stood there and looked her up and down because she had grown into a beautiful woman. She was beautiful back then, but she was damn beautiful now. Her hair had gotten longer and she had gotten thicka' in all tha' right places. Reesha just didn't kno' what I would do ta' her if she gave me a chance.

"August, hey sweetie. I'm so glad you could make it." My mother extended her arms for a hug.

"Oh na' Mrs. Mercer you kno' I wouldn't miss yo home cookin' fa' nothin." He said as he hugged her back.

"So how have you been superstar."

"I'm good. Just been grindin' none stop. I'm not stoppin' til I get ta' whea' I'm tryna get ta." I looked over at Reesha and she had an unreadable expression her face.

"Well let's sit down and enjoy this food." Mrs. Mercer said.

Reesha's momma walked ahead and I turned to her. "Ladies first." I smiled and she rolled her eyes for the second time.