Chapter Six

"Wait what!" Azeezat said loudly as Mide stood up.

 She stood up after her and walked quickly to reach her

"Almost everyone is betrothed to one person or the other. Ibrahim and Marcella the first and third richest family. One other person in his family his married to her aunty. Look at the pregnant girl over there, she's married to the guy sitting next to her" Mide said as she threw her tray in a bin that had Trays written on it.

"Why!" Azeezat exclaimed "do the children at least get to choose"

"That's just how the politics work here. Marriage is a form of exchanging shares and properties.

 It's a way of gaining power or subsiding the power of an opponent." Mide said as she looked over to the pregnant girl and the boy beside her "the choice of the children doesn't really matter. But the both of them are seniors and they already liked each other before they got married"

"In my other school, people who got pregnant dropped out because of the gossips" Azeezat said as she got to her locker.

"Not here. She will be respected for helping their family grow. And usually they never move in together till they are done with school"

"What about you? Who are you engaged to?" Azeezat asked Mide.

"Nobody yet. Not soon enough" Mide said sadly as King walked towards them followed by three other boys, he flashed a smirk at them as he passed them. Azeezat looked at Mide as she avoided looking at him.

"I will be right back"  Mide said sadly as turned to leave in the direction King headed

Azeezat stopped at the front of her locker when she got there. She had been there once before she went to class that morning and she couldn't hide her excitement. She had jumped a little in the empty hallway that morning.

She looked at the end of the hall now and caught a glimpse of Ibrahim looking at her. She opened her locker and a bucket of water poured on her "Oh my God!" She yelled, she looked down at her cloth and saw that there was red colouring added to the water spilled all over her cloth. 

 "No, no"

Everyone in the hallway started laughing at her except Marcella who stood by her locker. Ibrahim stood by his locker and Ethan stood by his. They all just stood there looking at her.

"Who did this" Azeezat yelled out almost crying.

She was furious at the sight of MaKayla laughing with the twins and Michelle. She wanted to storm over and yank her by the hair but she couldn't, it would only make things worse.

Marcella reached into her locker and brought out cloths and handed it over to her "change into this" she said. She looked over to MaKayla who's laughter had now cleared off her face. She was very furious.

"Everyone scram off" Marcella yelled and the crowd in the hallway dispatched.

She wasn't being nice to her because she wanted to, she was family in a way after all. She also asked if she was okay earlier, no one ever asked how she was doing or talked to her for their own perceptual reasons.

"Stop embarrassing the family" Marcella said to her blankly before walking away.

She also did it because if MaKayla was going to pair with someone she hated, she was going to pair with someone MaKayla dreaded.