26 | What Future Hold

It felt like all of a sudden, the air around you has stopped their movement. A few seconds ago, you could feel his heartbeat as you put your ears on his chest, bathing on the warm feeling that you always got every time he was near.

But then the question caught you off guard, and your body moves by themselves as you immediately pull away from him; taking a few steps behind.

You could see how his chocolate orbs that filled with love before was now replaced with dismay. Both of you were on guard within the moments passed, as if there was a wall between you and him—towering in front of you to prevent you to meet each other.

Or maybe it was there to make sure you didn't get hurt,

"What do you mean?" Your voice was low as you blurt the question, wanting to make sure that you heard him loud and clear, "Long distance relationship? We have been going through that, it's fine."

But something told you that it would be different. A whole lot different than the distance that you two had for the last two years of your relationship with him.

"It wouldn't be like before," He wanted to curse at himself by now as he recalled the memories of when the two of you drifted apart, "We are a mess on your last year of junior high, the distance was one of the factors."—that and the promise that you broke.

"So what? Are you going to end this?" This, the relationship that was still fresh. You clenched your hand into a fist subconsciously, trying to calm yourself down, "How far is it?"

"You wouldn't like it." He snorted, sounded so bitter unlike the playful one that usually came out from his lips,

"Yeah?" You crossed your hand in front of your chest, gazing at him with an exasperated look on your face, "Try me."

He let out a sigh that he didn't realise has been put on hold before looking down to avert your gaze.

"Try 12 hours time differences and 35.000 kilometres apart."

You blinked as you tried to process the words. This was basically what you pulled at the end of your junior high, informing just a little bit too late. He expected some bitter words, or maybe just you scoffing at him.

"I am sorry, I am so sorry, I should have said this earlier or before you agreed to be with me—"

"Are you going to follow that one setter you couldn't shut up about?" But rather hearing some sarcastic word or emotional tantrum, he heard the soft voice of yours instead. He finally looked up at you, biting his lips as he saw the gentle look on your face.

You slowly walked up to him, a delicate smile tugged on your facade. He could feel the lump on his throat, and his breath even hitched a little when your hand engulfed his. It was the feelings of consolation, something that made him knew everything would be alright, "Tooru..?"

His eyes flickered back and forth between the interlaced hand and your gaze. Everything would be fine. He reassured himself inside his head,

"Everything would be fine."

He didn't realise as he muttered under his breath. But you heard it, and the smile on your face became so much wider than before as you squeeze his hand.

"Yes, Tooru. Everything would be fine."

It was silence between you and the setter, but it was not the one that made you want to run away. The silence was filled with solace as you stood there in front of the man that you proudly called as your lover.

"But, but—" His voice sounded frantic, a little pout emerged on his face, "I am afraid that something would happen between us. What if what Iwa-chan said was true? What if a long-distance relationship was a disaster? What if—"