Ch 40: Rhodes Island's Decision

Even though the decision has been made, Nightingale still can't just join the squad directly. She has to prove that she can act independently without Lin Yie and cooperate with her teammates. 

After all, losing control in the middle of a battle is dangerous.

In order to test that, Melantha brings Nightingale and Lin Yie to the training ground. There, Lin Yie sees Orchid and Fang, who he had never seen before.

"Hi, Dr Lin." Fang smiles as she shakes his hand, "First time meeting you, but I was one of the first to know you."

Lin Yie responds politely, but he's focused on Nightingale.

Nightingale seems to be nervous, and her face is slightly pale in front of these "strangers." Lin Yie can't help but feel worried about her. After Fang's brief introduction, Lin Yie pulls Nightingale to the side and asks quietly, "Are you alright? You don't have to force yourself."

She shakes her head. She didn't want to make him worry about her.

"I can do it."

Lin Yie can't tell if she is acting rashly or actually fine, but... "You don't look fine to me. Maybe next time when you recover more. We don't have to rush things."

Lin Yie is being honest with her because he began to doubt his decision. No matter how he thinks, he still can't agree that letting Nightingale participate in this kind of mission is fine. 

Sure, she is getting better, but she needs more time for recovery. If she can go through a month or half a month without accidents, Lin Yie would agree, albeit reluctantly.

"I slept for a long time," Nightingale says.

"But you already woke up."

"I want to take a look outside."

"It doesn't have to be right now. We haven't seen the entirety of Rhodes Island yet."

"They are my comrades. I am not afraid of comrades."

"If that were true, there's no need for me to be here." Lin Yie tries to persuade her.

Nightingale glances at him, "But you promised me."

Lin Yie is speechless.

"Huh. Men's words."

"... Where did you learn to speak like that?" Lin Yie sighs, she becomes sassier now.

"Fine. Fine. I did promise you, but you need to pass the tests first. If you can't pass them, even I can't make you go. I am just an intern... *Cough*"

Nightingale nods, "I will pass the tests."

"But I won't be next to you when you take the tests." Lin Yie reminds her.

Nightingale glances at him.

"I don't need you."

Then, she follows Melantha inside.

"Nightingale recovered faster than I imagined." Orchid and Fang walk towards Lin Yie. 

Orchid gets near to him and whispers, "From that point alone, Shining was right. You are more useful than those psychotropic drugs. Three days ago, she rejected everyone other than you. Two days ago, she accepted Shining. One day ago, she no longer resisted Hibiscus. Now, things are getting better. If there is more time, Nightingale will be quite similar to ordinary people, even when her memory is still missing."

"... I didn't do anything." Lin Yie smiles bitterly, 

"And she's still afraid of people. She may be going alone and looking calm, but she is probably panicking inside. Um. Even her presence is not perfect. You are too hasty."

"Relax." Fang pats his shoulder, "Nightingale won't face any danger. She will come back after a few days."

"A few days?" Lin Yie is confused, "What do you mean?"

Fang glances at Orchid. Orchid shrugs, "Why don't we just tell him?"

"Fine." Fang nods, "After our careful consideration..."

"Actually it's Amiya's and Dr Kal'tsit's decision." Orchid interrupts.

Fang's face darkens, "Let me finish."

Orchid smiles, "Continue then."

"Simply put, we submitted a request to Amiya about enlisting Nightingale, but Dr Kal'tsit rejected it right away with the same reasoning you had."

Lin Yie pauses, "Then, why did you..."

"Dr Kal'tsit is responsible for Nightingale's treatment, so she has paid a lot of attention to what happened in the past few days." Orchid says, "And Dr Kal'tsit is in Lungmen right now. Do I need to say more?"

"So you want Nightingale to continue her treatment in Lungmen?"

Fang nods, "Of course, it is not because we distrust you. It's just..."

"Alright. I get it." Lin Yie nods,

 "I am not a true doctor anyway so I understand." and he believes what he is saying.

"No, I mean, Dr Kal'tsit wants to meet you, but she won't be back any time soon, so she wants you to bring Nightingale to see her and take care of Nightingale on the way there.."

Lin Yie is relieved.

(Good. It seems Rhodes Island's management is not as stupid as I thought it was.)

Lin Yie asks curiously, "But why didn't you just tell Nightingale?"

"The Nightingale now resists treatments, even though her doctor is Dr Kal'tsit." Orchid whispers,

"Plus, someone wants to see whether Nightingale still has the determination and courage or not, after losing her memory and suffering oripathy. In the end, that person hopes Nightingale won't be trapped inside her cage forever."

Lin Yie asks, "You mean Shining?"

Orchid doesn't answer, but her smile says everything.

Lin Yie sighs, "As expected, I can't understand how the devil sisters think." he mumbles to himself  

"Then, what about the mission? Didn't you say it is important?"

"Mission is unchanged, and Melantha is still the leader, but the medic is already waiting in Lungmen." Fang doesn't say the medic's name, so Lin Yie keeps his mouth shut.

"And what's the point of the tests?"

"Dr Kal'tsit wants to know how much Nightingale has recovered, so she wants the data collected before meeting Nightingale." Fang smiles, "And we will treat the tests seriously."

A short operator carrying a box walks past them. She has a pair of blue cat ears that sways gently when she walks.

 She has a pair of blue cat ears that sways gently when she walks

"Are you ready, Jessica?" Fang asks.

The operator called Jessica nods and smiles, "Yes, Miss Fang. I will give Miss Nightingale a realistic experience of the battlefield."

"Take it easy."

"Um." The girl carries the box away.

Lin Yie watches her back and thinks for a moment.

(Wait...Where have I heard that name before... )

"Jessica may help you in bullets..." 

(That Jessica!!!)