Ch 41: Nightingale's Test Results

An hour later, Nightingale's tests are over.

For her results well... 

Her face says it all. 

To put it mildly, she looks disappointed and dispirited. But frankly speaking, she looks like an elementary school student who failed her final exam.

Lin Yie can't help but chuckle on how funny that thought was.

He quickly covers his mouth, but Nightingale already noticed. Her gem-like pupils look cold.

Lin Yie coughs awkwardly and walks towards her with a caring expression, 

"How was it?"

Nightingale ignores him. She thinks that she has seen through Lin Yie, and she feels disappointed.

She walks away from him.

Lin Yie follows her and ask, "Where are you going?"

"Home."

"Wait for me."

"I don't need you." Nightingale says stubbornly, 

"I will go back on my own. Leave me."

Lin Yie stops in his track and scratches his head, "Oh. Alright... Be careful then."

Nightingale leaves the training room without looking back not saying anything to him. Her silhouette in the dark looks skinny and lonely, like a kitten leaving alone.

(Seems like she giving the cold shoulder treatment again. She really is a child)

"You are not going after her?" Orchid stands next to Lin Yie.

"She probably doesn't want to see me right now." Lin Yie says, 

"Just give her some time alone. I will look for her later. Her dorm is close by anyway, so she probably won't be lost."

"She won't be lost.." Orchid shrugs, "But... Melantha can you?"

Melantha and Fang come over, and Fang is holding a report. She says, "This is Nightingale's test results. Do you want to take a look?"

Lin Yie nods, but he is overwhelmed immediately when he sees all the numbers on it , so he gives the report back, 

"Can you... just tell me? I can't read it any of it."

"Oh. The results..." Fang looks at Melantha, "Melantha, how about you explain to him?"

"Um." Melantha nods, "From test results alone, Nightingale passed the tests."

Lin Yie is shocked, "She did?... Really?"

"Why would I lie to you?" Melantha says, "Nightingale did her duties as a medic in the tests. Although her mental condition is not great, her strength hasn't decreased. Her healing power can rival Shining's."

"Then why did Nightingale..."

"Let me finish." Melantha cuts him off, "Although Nightingale did pass the tests, we still judged that she failed."

Lin Yie pauses, "Why? If I can ask"

Fang raises her hand to stop Melantha and changes the topic.

"It's the same problem." Fang says, 

"Nightingale has powerful abilities, but her mental state is not stable. Although it is much better now, it is still not enough, especially on the battlefield. In the tests, Nightingale could use her healing arts on operators but she got scared involuntarily, which changed her movements and slowed down her reactions. Most wounded operators didn't get treatments in time. Fortunately, it was a test. Otherwise, there would be operators losing their lives. Therefore, even though Nightingale passed the tests, she is still far from ready."

Orchid sighs, "I know Nightingale did her best, and I have been one of the staff who take care of her. So I am surprised to see her progress, but as Fang said, this is not enough. From the point of psychology, this is just a test, and Nightingale couldn't even control her emotions, let alone on a battlefield."

"On a real battlefield, she probably won't be able to walk because of fear." Melantha turns to leave, "The Nightingale right now will just be a burden for us."

"Melantha!" Orchid frowns, "Nightingale is still a patient!"

"Then, let her receive treatments." Melantha says without turning back, 

"Don't worry about other things for now."

Fangs watches Melantha leave and says helplessly, "That's how she is. She doesn't have any malicious intent. She really meant well"

"I know..."

Lin Yie sighs. He doesn't know why but he feels sad like his kid got bullied after failing a test at school.

"Don't think too much." Orchid tries to comfort him, 

"We never planned to let Nightingale out for missions. We already got the data we need. The next step is giving her treatment. As I said, this is only the third day. Only three days and Nightingale already changed so much. At this rate, she will probably recover completely in a week."

Fang agrees with her, "So you don't have to mind Melantha's attitude. That's how she is."

Lin Yie is dumbfounded after hearing their comforting words, 

"...Why are you comforting me here? I didn't take the tests. She did. It's weird when you are comforting me like parents of patients comforting their children's physicians."

Fang and Orchid look at each other and chuckle.

"Of course, we weren't comforting you." Fang says, 

"We just hope you can repeat what we said in front of Nightingale. We don't want her to be discouraged by today's tests. After all, you are her most trusted person besides Shining, so don't let her think too much. We believe she will get better soon."

"She will be a great medic like Shining... No." Orchid shakes her head, "She has never been worse than Shining as a medic, as long as she can recover."

"Alright. I will find her." Lin Yie nods, "But before that, can I ask you something?"

"Um, what is it?"

Twenty minutes later, Lin Yie stands in front of the dorm 9F.

"This should be the place, right?"

He mumbles and knocks on the door.

"Is this Jessica's room? I am the psychologist Lin Yie. I have some things to discuss with you. Can you open the door, please?" Lin Yie yells, 

"Are you inside, Jessica?"