Chapter 25 - Focus on being drunk

Maggie's eyes widen when she recognizes me. "Wait, I know you. You're-"

I sigh, exasperated with having to state my title. "Beck's girlfriend. And you're his ex. Great to see you again, really. However, Beck is currently downstairs and being held captive, so please, mask up. We don't need to give him another reason to be upset."

After she stares at me with wide-eyes for what feels like an eternity, she scurries down to the basement after she places her golden mask over her eyes and ties it behind her head. A golden mask to match her golden blonde hair. I know Beck told me that she cheated on him, but that still doesn't change the fact that she looks like a model in every way possible, and I look like a 5'3" librarian in sneakers on most days.

Whatever, it's not like comparing looks to an ex-girlfriend is going to score me any brownie points right now. Beck is upset with me for completely different reasons, but at least I can mend our relationship.

At least, I hope I can.

I hasten down the steps with two cups of coffee in hand. There are creamer and sugar packets in my desk drawer, but I'm getting a vibe from the two of them that says they drink their coffee black. When I turn the corner to enter my office, I'm met with complete chaos. Hot coffee burns my hand as I jump in surprise at how the scene has escalated in the 3 minutes I've been upstairs.

For starters, Beck is awake. Grayson has him pinned down to the chair and Karsyn is yelling for him to let him go. Maggie showed up, but thankfully, she's finally put on her mask, so I know Beck isn't going berserk because he saw her. Kennedy, Piper, Matt, and Cooper are all in the corner, staring at me like deer in headlights.

I set the coffee cups down and then I wipe off the coffee from my fingers and use them to whistle loudly - so loud that it echoes throughout the cold basement office. Everyone, including Beck, turns to face me. Do I have any idea of what I'm going to say? Not a clue. But I often do this thing where I don't think before I speak, so it's not like there's a lot of pressure.

"Listen up everyone! We've had enough chaos for one night. Let's get our crap together and focus on the task at hand," I gesture to Beck with my right hand and use my left to gesture to Grayson.

"Grayson is here to help Beck. To give you a quick run-down of how that's going to happen, Grayson can temporarily absorb the powers of a super. The goal is to get Grayson close enough to Jessie so he can absorb her powers. He can temporarily absorb the powers of anyone within 20 feet, so it shouldn't be hard to do it without her knowing. What's going to be difficult is making sure Beck is close enough to the scene to ensure that Grayson has enough time to deactivate the hypnosis, while also making sure Jessie is unaware of Beck's and Grayson's presence."

Beck interjects with a loud laugh, "You think I'm just going to let you keep me hostage?"

With a sly smirk, I walk over to his chair and gently move Grayson out of the way so I'm the one leaning over Beck's face now. He still wears a smug look, but I notice that he gulps as I get close to his face. "Goodnight, Becky." With that, I enhance the probability of him falling asleep again, and watch his eyelids slowly close.

I turn back to Grayson. "How long does the power absorption last?"

He ponders this in his head for a minute, then answers, "Fifteen minutes at most. Unless I stay close to the source to continue drawing from it."

"Great," I clap my hands together, "We need to figure out a way for you to hide in my dorm room so you can absorb her powers without being seen. Meanwhile, I need a team to move Beck to my car. Volunteers?"

Before anyone raises their hand, Kennedy speaks up, "I don't think your car should be used in the operation. Jessie is your roommate- she knows your car and is most likely going to search it to find Beck."