Chapter 9 - Creepy tree girl

A mother's hug is quite smothering, and even more so when you're leaving to go back to college.

I try to take a deep breath, but I'm restricted. "Mom, it's okay, I'm coming back next week for Thanksgiving, remember?"

She pretends to wipe her eyes with the sleeve of her t-shirt and fakes a sniffle, "Oh, how will I ever make it that long?" I chuckle at her dramatic antics, even though on the inside I'm dreading this Thanksgiving. Not only do I have to worry about dad reading my mind across the table, but now Karsyn has reminded me that last Thanksgiving I was happily dating someone I thought of as my everything. Now Maggie is just a memory. I can't exactly explain that to anyone in my family, since I never told anyone what really happened. So it seems I'll have to grin and bear it.

What I am excited for is teasing Grayson about dating Karsyn. They had a special type of bond all throughout high school, but never officially dated. Everyone could see they had chemistry, but they never did anything about it. Since both of them are sticking around our home town for college, they should be dating already. They have no excuses left. It still aggravates me that Grayson won't rip the band aid off and just ask her out for real. 'Business partners', yeah right.

"Drive safe and text me when you get back." Mom pats my shoulder after re-thinking a second hug. I think the zipper on my gray jacket is still indented on my sternum.

Dad pipes up, "And text me when you get this Emily thing figured out. I'm interested."

My face heats up, and I know I must look like a tomato. "Dad! Seriously, she's just my tutor. You need to stop reading my mind!"

Dad smirks as he tucks his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. "I didn't have to read your mind, Beck. You turned red at the mention of her name."

Mom is smiling too, "Oh, look at him, Jonas, he's so cute when he's flustered." She leans in to pinch my cheek, but I swat her hand away.

"Okay I'm leaving now! I'll see you on Thursday!" At that I run out the door, covering my cheeks with my hands. I'm only flustered because I don't know how to explain the current relationship I have with Emily. I don't like her, I'm trying to get her to like me. How do you tell that to your parents without sounding like an awful person?

On the drive over to Karsyn's house, I begin to wonder what Emily might say to me tomorrow in psychology. Will she still be friendly or will she see me as another super that needs tutoring? In the case that we're strictly on business terms now, I don't know how that effects how she views me. Would she care to interrogate me if she has no real connection with me anymore? It seems kind of silly to jump through hoops to make her like me when she seems to still like her ex, Eli. The way she looked at him said it all - Emily is not over him.

When I arrive at Karsyn's house, I immediately get Emily out of my head. I'm picking up my super suit, and I have to stay focused on my upcoming assignment: bringing in Jenga. I can't have any distractions.

"Come on in!" Karsyn hollers out when I ring the door bell. I walk right in, as I've done for years. The only reason I rang the doorbell was for the  courtesy of her parents, who don't appear to be home.

"Hey, I'm heading back so I thought I'd stop by and get my suit." I look around to find Karsyn in the kitchen, in her light pink pajama bottoms and matching pink hoodie, pouring a bowl of cereal. It's only 10:30 a.m. so I suppose it's still breakfast time, but I know Karsyn will eat cereal any time of day.

"It's right downstairs. I'm so excited to see my best friend become a super hero!" She sets her bowl down on a side table and rushes to lead me down the steps. Knowing Karsyn, she has to make a grand presentation out of giving me the suit.