Chapter 6 - The stupid stuff is the fun stuff

I leave the library very alert. After the incident on the road earlier, I was preparing myself for any weird occurrences. Apparently, there are falling Jengas out here.

When I finally get back to my apartment, I brace myself for an encounter with Rhett. I've been gone for an hour now, but that doesn't mean he won't pop up out of the blue, begging me to let him in. Or worse, Derek and Noah let him in after I left, despite knowing how I feel about the ordeal. It didn't affect them personally, but it impacted me, and Noah and Derek stuck by my side.

I walk up the steps and slide my key in the door. Instant relief floods through my body as I see Noah and Derek sitting on the couch, without a trace of Rhett.

"Hey." Derek nods towards me but doesn't look up from the television screen.

"What're y'all watching?" I ask as I slip out of my shoes.

"The news. Jenga fell out of the sky today, apparently. Really weird."

I feel a lump form in my throat, "Is she okay?"

Noah speaks up, "Yeah, she got up and ran away. Bizarre."

Bizarre indeed.

"So I'm going to go home in a few hours. Just thought I'd let y'all know." I begin to walk back to my room, thinking nothing of my announcement. They didn't seem to care about where I had been for an hour. We're all adults here, living our own lives. We don't have to tell each other everything - just if we're bringing back some milk.

"You're really going home on a Saturday night?" Noah asks from my doorway as I'm packing my overnight bag. I jump because I wasn't aware that he followed me down the hall.

"Uh, yeah?" I don't see why it's hard to believe. I haven't seen my parents in about a month now and they're only an hour away. Plus, I have to suffer through another two weeks before Thanksgiving break. I want answers now.

"But Jessie and Emily wanted to hang out tonight." Noah tries to persuade me.

I throw a t-shirt on top of the pile, "Then let them. You and Jessie need a break, and honestly Emily doesn't seem interested in me. So let the two girls hang out, leave Jessie alone, and let me go home." I zip up my bag after I grab my laptop. I push past him, making my way through the living room and back downstairs.

"What's the matter with you?" Noah asks incredulously. Really? He basically called me a freak show indirectly this morning. If he knows I'm going home because I need to talk to someone about my powers, he'll have some smart aleck comment to make. I'm not interested in what else he has to say about supers.

"I'm just tired." I respond in a grumpy tone.

Derek turns around from the couch with a cheesy grin on his face. "Why don't you give yourself an energy boost?" I shake my head at the awful joke. Have I taught him nothing about puns?

"Anyways, I'll let you know when I'm coming back. Just," I sigh, knowing it has to be said. "Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

Derek sinks into the couch, "Buzz kill. The stupid stuff is the fun stuff."

I shrug, "Maybe you can go on a treasure hunt for Noah's missing door." Derek purses his lips. With that, I finally escape my roommates and head towards my truck again.

The drive home is not ideal, considering the insane amount of traffic on a Saturday at lunch. I also love the fact that it's pouring down rain once I get halfway home. I mentally groan at the thought of what Thanksgiving weekend is going to be like on the roads.

I find it annoying that I've been blessed with super powers, but I don't have flying in my skill set. That would save me so much drive time. It would also keep me from potential accidents, which admittedly I have been in a few. That's a secret you can't keep from your parents, I can guarantee you that.