Chapter 12 - I am 100 percent done

I expected her to say no. Why would she want to come to my house for Thanksgiving? Wouldn't it just make her miss her family more?

But it's not like Emily to give a predictable response.

Her eyes light up, "Really?" She pauses with a frown, "Wait, what's the condition? Do I have to pretend to be your girlfriend?"

I raise an eyebrow, "You're the one that gave yourself that title back at Frozone," I chuckle as she purses her lips at the realization. "I'm requiring no such condition."

Emily's still hesitant, as she crosses her arms and asks, "You're going to make me listen to One Direction and Big Time Rush the whole ride there, aren't you?"

I smirk, "And on the way back, the Jonas Brothers."

Emily rolls her eyes, but she throws on a smile, "I guess that's a small price to pay for a good Thanksgiving meal."

I blink a few times, "Wait, so, you'll come?"

Emily laughs in my face, "Unless you're retracting your invitation. When do we leave?"

I'm still in shock, but I compose myself. "Wednesday around 11 a.m. I'll pick you up here?"

She claps her hands together, beaming, "Sounds good to me! Do I need to make a dish or something?"

My mouth parts slightly as I ask, "You can cook?"

Emily looks offended, "Is that so hard to believe?"

With a small smile, I lower my head, shaking it all the while. "You're incredible, you know that?"

When I look back up, she's smiling sheepishly. "Um, what do you want me to make?"

I shrug, trying to match her shy smile, "Surprise me."

Suddenly, the door to the dorm bursts open, and in walks Noah and Jessie. Only, Jessie isn't really walking, she's storming into the room. Emily and I exchange a knowing look, rolling our eyes as the two of them ignore our presence and continue bickering.

"I told you, Noah, I can't cook. If your mom told you to bring a dish, you're going to have to make it yourself." Jessie crosses her arms over her chest and parades over to the mini fridge beside her bed to get a drink. She slams the door shut and plops onto her navy blue comforter.

Noah leans his hand on the door frame, seemingly exasperated. "Jess, I have two tests the night before we leave. I don't have time to make anything."

Emily jumps up from her seat, startling all of us. "Okay! That's it! I'm already making something for Thanksgiving, I'll make yours too. Just-" She closes her eyes and huffs, "Stop bickering."

Jessie's eyebrows knit together, "Who are you going to Thanksgiving with?"

Emily and I give each other a cheeky smile, and I see Jessie is about to start asking a ton of questions. It looks like it's time for me to bolt. If there's about to be an immense amount of girl talk, it's probably best that Noah leaves with me.

"I'll see you in class tomorrow, Em." I wave goodbye and turn towards the door to see Noah making kissy faces at me. He's trying his best to hold back his laughter despite the fact that he's puckering his lips.

Just because I escaped the girl talk doesn't mean I'll escape the Noah talk.

***
"Yes, mom, she's still coming with me. We're leaving by 11 tomorrow." My hands are busy packing up my bag, so I have my phone pressed to my ear with my shoulder.

"And you say she's just a friend?" I can hear the suggestive tone in my mom's voice.

I breathe out a deep sigh, "Just a friend. It's still okay that she comes, right?" When Maggie stayed with us, it was like I had to sign a waiver and go through a legal process to get my parents to agree. I know they didn't really know her, but I gave them plenty of heads up. I'm hoping three days notice is still enough time with Emily. After all, she is bringing a pie.