Chapter 4 - Looking like a porcupine

It's currently one a.m. on a Saturday morning and I'm eating cereal while watching the news.

In case you were wondering, no, this is not normal behavior for me. I like to, oh I don't know, sleep at night usually. Call me crazy.

So why am I up? And why, of all things to watch, would I choose the news?

I couldn't sleep, knowing that I had failed to do any research on Jenga and my life was on the line. I'd like to think that if your life was on the line, you wouldn't be able to sleep at night either. I hate to make assumptions though.

About an hour ago, I wandered around the apartment in the dark in my sweatpants and loose t-shirt, trying not to wake up Derek or Noah. I turned on the television, and within 30 minutes, I was witnessing a live news report on Jenga and some criminal activity going on downtown. My jaw dropped. This is why I don't ever see Jenga? Because she saves the day at the crack of dawn? No, wait, it's not even dawn!

I take in her appearance, pausing the screen as I observe new details every five seconds. First of all, she has bright, electric blue hair that she wears in a high ponytail, and it comes all the way down to her waist. That's obviously a wig. I haven't seen anyone in this small, rural town that has hair like that. Even on the college campus, I can't say anyone has ever reported spotting Jenga by her hair color. Maybe she's a high schooler. Still, somebody would've been able to seek out her blue hair.

Well I'm glad I have one thing clear: Jenga wears a wig. Good job, Sherlock. You've cracked the case.

The next feature I notice is how her entire suit is electric blue except for her knee-high black boots and matching black mask. There is no cape for this hero, which I must say is a good choice. Nontraditional, but really, capes are such a hazard.

As if she wasn't wearing enough blue, her ocean blue eyes pop because of her outfit. I'm mesmerized by the amount of blue. Honestly, I wouldn't be intimidated by her at all if it weren't for the black leather boots and sleek black mask. I'm not quite convinced that her ponytail isn't a weapon. I mean, seriously, that thing would hurt if it slapped you in the face.

Do girls grow their hair out to use it as a weapon?

"Beck! What the heck are you doing?" Noah calls out from his room.

It might have slipped my mind that Noah's room is the closest to the living room. I hear his feet hit the floor and make their way towards me. His footsteps are loud and heavy.

He's standing in front of me, blocking the t.v. within seconds of his march over here. I awkwardly take a bite of cereal.

He sighs, "You know I can hear everything from my room."

I give him a puzzled look, "Have you thought about closing your door?"

Noah pulls on his hair, looking like he wants to strangle me. "You know Derek took my door off the hinges!"

Ah, yes. I'm quite aware of Derek's prank. What Noah doesn't know is that his door is in the basement of the apartment complex. We'll see how long it takes him to figure it out.

"That's tough, man." I reply, shoving a spoonful of cereal in my mouth. I'm trying my best to hold back my laughter as my best friend screams at me in his bright pink boxers. That's what happens when you ask Derek to do a load of laundry.

Noah sits down beside me on the small couch. "What're you watching?"

"Obviously, I'm watching the news." I gesture towards the small screen.

"But why?"

I shrug, "I'm watching Jenga beat the crap out of some thugs. It's pretty interesting." It's honestly quite brutal. She keeps spinning around, facing one guy after another. She turns on her heel with her right arm straight out, whipping all of them in the face. If any one of them is left standing, they face the wrath of her mean right hook. One guy pops out of nowhere, pointing a gun at her. Obviously, the cops are all around, but his finger is on the trigger and he's aiming it at her just a few feet away.