Chapter 3 - I thought I was special

"Do you realize how ridiculous you look?" Noah asks me as I step out of my room.

I look down at my outfit. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

Noah throws his hands up, "Knee socks with sandals, jean shorts, and a shirt that looks like it came right out of a Hawaiian tourist shop? I don't know, Beck, what could be wrong with your outfit?"

I try to hold back my smile, "I haven't done laundry in weeks. It's all I have. Guess I can't go..." I begin to turn on my heel when he grabs my arm.

"Okay, slick, nice try. Now go change."

I blink, "I really don't have anything to wear."

He shrugs, "Guess you'll have to wear something of mine."

Always. A. Freaking. Loophole.

I scowl at him as I pass, trudging to his room across the hall from mine. A part of me wants to sit on my bed and protest. No amount of ice cream can make me go. On the other hand, a small, microscopic, teeny tiny part of me is curious as to how tonight will go.

So I get dressed, for real this time. I style my hair, I spray on some Axe, and then I hear Noah call my name. I sigh. It's only one night, Beckett.

We drive over to campus, which is only five minutes away from our apartment. Noah turns to look at me once we've parked at the ice cream shop. "Be nice, okay? Just try to have a good time."

No promises.

We get out of Noah's Chevy, to which he immediately sprints over to grab the door to the shop, opening it for two girls who are blushing quite obviously. Well, one is. It's Jessie. The other, I presume, is my date.

I look closer and feel panic rise up within me.

Maybe I should stay in the car. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Better yet, I could use my powers to start the engine and drive away.

Noah waves me over to come join them.

How do I tell him that I think the girl from psychology class is stalking me?

"Come on, Beck!" Noah hollers towards me. I'm frozen in place. I can't put one foot in front of the other.

He gives me a stern look as he debates if he should follow the girls inside or console the baby on the sidewalk (I'm the baby).

He marches towards me, and with a hint of rage, grabs my arm. He pulls me away from the car, without asking me why I'm being belligerent. He thinks he knows why. What he doesn't know is Emily from psychology class, the person I swore to myself to stay away from, is my date for the night.

I gulp as I enter the building. Noah whispers in a scolding manner, "You better make up a good excuse to them why you refused to come in and I had to go get you." He releases my wrist (which is extremely red from his tight grip) as we reach the table in the back that the girls are sitting at. Jessie smiles when she sees Noah. As for Emily, she looks utterly confused.

So she wasn't stalking me?

That's what she wants you to think.

I try to turn off the arguments going on in my brain and force a small smile. "Sorry for not coming in, I thought we had a flat tire." I take a seat across from Emily and beside Noah. Jessie is wearing her typical plaid button-up with an unfamiliar band t-shirt on underneath it, black ripped skinny jeans, and let's not forget the signature beanie to cover her spring-like brown hair. Emily is wearing a black tank top with a cardigan and dark blue skinny jeans. I feel like I'm looking across at two extremely different people, and yet they're apparently good friends. I guess it's like Derek and me.