Chapter 17 - Hide the forks

As much as I don't want Emily to assist me, I'm not going to refuse Emily's help. It's a lot of work to do for one person. There's a reason my mom was counting on my dad's help to get it done. However, I definitely don't want to be alone with Emily after we just got into a spat. Mom has too many knives in the kitchen for me to feel comfortable right now...

"I'm going to see if Karsyn and Grayson can help us." I exit the kitchen, leaving Emily by herself for the moment. When I look out the kitchen window, Grayson's car and Karsyn's car are still in the driveway and it's pouring rain. I know they're here in the house somewhere. They're probably hanging out in the basement.

The door to the staircase is wide open and the lights are on, so I take the first few steps towards the basement. When I hear Grayson's voice, I stop in my tracks.

"Karsyn, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

I quirk an eyebrow. Could this be it? The moment we've all been waiting for?

"Alright, go ahead." Karsyn replies nonchalantly. I wish I could see their faces. I'm only on the second step, so the wall is blocking my view. If I could sneak down to the fifth step...

"Well, we've been friends since high school and now we're business partners, so I felt like this was going to come up at some point."

I'm on the third step.

Karsyn asks, "Are you okay? Your hands are shaking."

Fourth step, here I come.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just don't want to mess up our friendship asking this."

"Nothing could ruin our friendship, Grayson."

I really should've brought popcorn.

"Well, I know we've talked about future plans for the business, and I'm not really sure I can go on anymore as business partners."

Are you flipping my pancakes?? That's the bomb he just dropped? He's supposed to ask her out! Not end their business deal!

Here we come, step number five.

"Oh. Is it something I said? I know I can be a little too much to handle when I get stressed out-"

"No, no, no! I don't want to be business partners because... I want to be more than that."

I am internally squealing, in case anyone wants to know.

"Oh... oh! Wait, what're you saying?"

The fifth step gives me a limited view of their faces, but anything is better than nothing. They're both sitting on the brown leather couch, face to face. There's a few scattered papers between them, which leads me to believe Karsyn was going over some designs with him. Karsyn's face is bright red, and I can tell she's embarrassed for asking what he means. I don't blame her for asking for clarification though. Grayson was about as clear as mud.

Grayson laughs nervously, "Well I was hoping you would be my girlfriend but if-"

Karsyn interrupts his stuttering, with an enthusiastic, "Yes! Of course!" She wraps her arms around him in a tight embrace.

I feel like this is an appropriate time for me to enter the room with a loud, "It's about time!" My bold entrance startles both of them, and I probably interrupted a perfect opportunity for them to kiss, but I did come down here for a reason. The sooner I find out if they can help me with the food, the sooner I can leave them alone.

Grayson gives me the same glare he gave me when I first pulled into the driveway. That's when I realize that he was trying to have this same conversation with Karsyn earlier. I've interrupted him twice now.