Chapter 2 - Rise and shine buttercup

I'm not sure what I was expecting to happen when I walked into my psychology class. A normal day, maybe? Some lecture notes, a bit of side conversation? The typical college class.

As soon as I walk in the classroom, Professor Hayes makes direct eye contact with me and I freeze in place. He waves me over to his desk, a stern look playing on his face.

I walk over cautiously. "Mr. Beckett," He addresses me with a mock smile. "How is your extra credit assignment coming along?"

I gulp. That conversation happened just two days ago. Was I really supposed to already be hunting down Jenga?

"Well, I um, have had some other assignments in some other classes. I've been kind of swamped with essays and tests." I stumble over my words.

Professor Hayes doesn't try to smile anymore. "Ah, I see," He slides his reading glasses off. "Do you realize this assignment has a due date as well?"

"What?" I try not to sound angry, but this is ridiculous. I'm not allowed to get a tutor, and my extra credit is hunting down a superhero. How do I find said superhero? The only time I hear about her is when she's on the news. I've never seen her in person.

"How do you suggest I find Jenga?" I whisper as softly as I can, leaning in close so none of my classmates can hear.

Dr. Hayes shrugs, "That's in the rubric of your assignment. You get to creatively figure that out."

My jaw clenches when he hands me a slip of paper. It has an address on it and a date.

"If you don't bring Jenga to The Undergrounds by November 6th, I'm going to have to back out of our deal." He says under his breath. A swarm of students come through the doorway. Without saying another word to my professor, I spin around and angrily storm off to take a seat towards the middle of the classroom, where I usually place myself.

I pull out my notebook and pencil, trying to act normal so no one is suspicious of what just happened.

Apparently, I'm not good at hiding my irritation.

"Hey," A quiet voice says beside me. I turn my head to see a small figured brunette, looking back and forth between Dr. Hayes and myself. "What was that all about?"

So much for subtle emotions, Beckett.

"Nothing," I shrug off. "I just need a tutor but I'm not allowed one."

Her eyes drift down towards my wrist, noticing the band. Out of curiosity, I glance at her wrist too. Nothing there. Lucky her.

"I can tutor you." She pulls her bright blue notebook out of her black book bag decorated with t.v show buttons.

I squint at her, "Why would you do that? You could get in serious trouble if the S.E.A found out."

She chuckles at me, "I highly doubt it would come to their attention."

Wow, I wonder what it's like to not be on the radar of the S.E.A.

"If you need my help, I'll be glad to tutor you. I think the S.E.A is stupid." She flips her long brown hair over her shoulder and opens up her notebook to take notes.

I'm utterly confused as to what just happened. Is there a rebellious tutoring cult on campus? Should I even get myself involved in such a thing? I already have my deal with Mr. Hayes in place, but what if I can't find Jenga?

"I don't even know your name." I suddenly realize out loud.

She turns to face me again, a small smile playing on her face all the while. I'm not going to lie, there's something off about this whole situation. Why should I trust her? I just met her, and she could very well turn me in. "It's Emily. Emily Alden." I nod, still trying to determine if she could be trusted.