Chapter 19 - The proof is in the pudding

My ears are ringing. It sounds like someone's blowing into a dog whistle. Wait, is there a dog?

Why on earth would there be a dog in the hospital, Beck?

For therapy, Reggie, jeez!

Okay, I'm getting nowhere stuck inside my own head. Why can't I just wake up? Am I dead?

"Beck? Beck, can you hear me? Guys, he's gripping onto my hand, I think he's waking up." That's Emily's voice, there's no doubt about that.

Slowly, I begin to open my eyes, only to wince at the bright, fluorescent lights. I'm still in the emergency room waiting area. At least, that's where I think I am. Everything is a little fuzzy at the moment. To make matters worse, my ears are still ringing.

"Oh thank God!" Emily's panicked eyes are the first thing I see when I come to. She slowly helps me get to my feet and sit back down in the chair I was in.

My mom is rushing to my side with a pack of crackers and a bottle of water. "Are you feeling okay? What do you need?"

The odd thing is, I feel completely fine. I didn't feel weak or anything of the sorts in the seconds before I collapsed, and I feel like my normal self now. I'm just a little tired. So what made me faint on the spot like that? It came out of nowhere.

"I'm okay, guys, really," I eye the peanut butter crackers in my mom's hand. "Although, I will eat those if they're still available." Mom hands them over without hesitation.

"Do you need to go home and get some rest? It's definitely been a long day for you." Emily gives me a hesitant look, not knowing if I'm actually okay or not. I know it's been a long day, referring to the chaos of breaking her out of The Undergrounds, revealing our secret identities to one another, driving for almost two hours, cooking a whole Thanksgiving meal, using my energy to turn the power back on, and coming to rescue my cousin and my best friend. But I need to stay here to make sure Grayson and Karsyn are going to be okay.

I roll my eyes, "Sleep is for the weak."

Emily crosses her arms, giving me a smirk, "I thought your philosophy just the other day was 'sleep for a week'?"

I dismiss her remark with a wave of my hand, "I just passed out, leave me alone."

My mom interrupts, "Maybe you should head home, Beck. We'll keep Ash and Mason company for a little bit while we wait on results. We'll call as soon as we have any updates." That puts me at ease, but I still want to be here for them. Though, there isn't much I can do but sit out here anxiously waiting.

Em clears her throat, "I don't think Beck is in any shape to drive home, and I don't know the roads."

My dad seemingly notices Em's nervousness, "I'll drive y'all home," He points his finger at my mom. "Including you, Del. You shouldn't be at the hospital as sick as you were earlier."

Just like that, I'm being hoisted out of my chair and we make our way to the parking deck. Even though I poked fun of the idea, I'm not opposed to going home and sleeping. The other option is sitting in a hard-backed chair, waiting for updates on Grayson and Karsyn. Quite frankly, I need some food and some rest. Yes, Em and I stopped for lunch on the way to my house and yes, we microwaved frozen meals for supper. However, I am a growing boy and therefore I will eat a bowl of cereal when I get home.

Emily holds onto my arm as we walk into the house, which is her way of being there for me if I fall again, but also giving me a chance to independently make it up the steps and in the front door.

"Do you think you can make it to your room? Or are you going to sleep on the couch?" Em asks me.

I sigh as I take a glance at the stairs, each of one of them challenging me. They mock my current state.