Chapter 10 - Well paint me blue

As I run down the street with creepy tree girl, (who apparently wants to be called Geo) I realize I'm not in shape for this. Which is saying a lot, considering I go to the gym at least five times a week. I guess it's time to start running on the treadmill instead of working on my abs. Now I have to work out more just to be in the super business?

"Keep up, newbie!" Geo shouts at me as we reach the bridge. Or, where the bridge should be. It's crumbled into gigantic pieces on the underpass below it. Perhaps it was an earthquake?

"What took so long?" Jenga appears out of nowhere. I'll admit, I may have jumped at her sudden appearance. We're not going to talk about it.

Geo answers for the both of us, "Sorry Jenga, newbie over here looked like a lost puppy."

Jenga's long, blue ponytail slaps me in the face as she quickly turns her head to look at the bridge behind her. When she turns to face us again, I'm rubbing my cheek. I knew she used the ponytail as a weapon.

"When I call for backup, I need it fast. The damage has already been done, and there were two cars on the bridge when it collapsed. Geo, can you repair the terrain?"

Geo gives a nod, "You got it." She sprints towards the broken bridge and I watch as she levitates the severed pieces above her head. She places them back together like a puzzle.

"And what do you do, newbie?" Jenga's baby blue eyes scan me up and down, a scowl playing on her face.

"Okay, for one thing, my name is Switch, not newbie. I control power sources and I have force field capability." I puff out my chest to make myself seem bolder, because Jenga doesn't look too impressed.

Jenga pauses for a minute, looking me in the eyes. "When I called for back up, I specified what kind of supers I needed. Why are you here? Can you rebuild a bridge with your powers?" Not to be stereotypical or anything, but Jenga does not have the cheery disposition I imagined a lot of heroes have. Maybe she can sense something about me, but she also wasn't very nice to Geo.

"Well, no, but I-"

"Sorry Switch," Jenga turns on her heel, "But you can sit this one out."

My hands ball up into fists. I am not leaving here empty handed. Especially after I accidentally saved her life.

A lightbulb goes off in my head (pun intended). "I just thought you'd want to meet the guy who saved your life when you fell from the sky."

Jenga halts in her steps. When she spins around, I'm not sure what to expect. Definitely not a 'thank you'. Not at this point.

"That was you? I just fell on a random truck." Jenga seems bewildered, but it's hard to tell when her black mask covers her potentially furrowed eyebrows.

I smile brightly and shrug nonchalantly. "I know right... what are the odds?" I wink at her, and she scoffs with a shake of her head.

"I don't know what you want from me..." Jenga looks wary of me, like I'm about to jump her and take her away. While I'm sure Dr. Hayes would tell me to do that, I have a different approach.

I wave my hands in front of me, "Oh no, I don't want anything from you. I just thought you'd have a little more respect for me if you knew what kind of weight my powers had to them." At that, I tuck my hands in my Nike sweatpants pockets and shrug my shoulders. "But I'll just be on my way..." I turn around and start walking, waiting for her to either call me back or get the police to arrest me.

"Wait,"

I smirk before I turn back around, "Yes?"

She crosses her arms and taps her finger against her chin. "Can you fix the street lights? Some of the power lines were struck in the storm."