Chapter 8 - Keep it PG

"Yeah, no, I'm not jumping off of the roof, Karsyn."

I'm not entirely sure why I chose midnight to scale a building. I can hardly see the rungs of the ladder in front of me. It sounded like a good way to end an ominious conversation at the time. "Meet me at Red Raven's warehouse at midnight." Cliff hangers, am I right?

"And why not?" Karsyn is following close behind me.

I roll my eyes and pull myself up to reach the rooftop. "Because I know I can't fly. I also know I'm not indestructible because I got a paper cut the other day."

Karsyn huffs as she reaches her hand out to grab mine. Not that she's struggling to get up here, we're just trying to be careful. The last thing we need is for either of us to fall and break our necks. Although, I think that's exactly what Karsyn just told me I should do.

"How do you know you can't fly?" I hesitate to answer her because it's slightly embarrassing. But if I don't tell her she'll probably push me off of the roof.

"I jumped off of my bed and hit my head on my dresser. I don't think that counts as a success." I begin to pace back and forth on the roof, contemplating how we should go about testing other powers, like the possibility of a force field.

"Maybe you should try throwing something at me. That way I can see if I can protect myself. That's what happened when-"

Oof. How'd that foot in your mouth taste Beckett?

Her eyebrows raise in anticipation. "What happened?" She asks excitedly.

That's what happened when Jenga almost fell onto my car.

I gulp, "My roommate Noah threw a shoe at me..."

Her hands immediately fly to her hips, "Really, Beck? Can you give me any kind of special origin story?"

I'm taken back by her lack of enthusiasm and scolding manner. I've never had to tell anyone how I got my powers. I'm not even sure how it all happened. Honestly, it was all a blur.

I click my tongue as I realize I kind of want to tell someone, because I haven't told it before. "It was June 20th, just this past summer. It was at my pool party with my girlfriend, Maggie."

Karsyn's eyes light up as I begin my dramatic telling of my origin story. "I remember Maggie, you brought her home with you last Thanksgiving, right?" All I can do is nod with a feeling of numbness.

It's dawned on me that I haven't said Maggie's name since she broke up with me. It also occurs to me that that may be the reason I haven't told anyone how I got my powers. I don't like to talk about her, and she was there when it all went down.

"A whole bunch my friends were planning to meet me at the country club for my birthday party. I told Maggie I didn't want a party, but she insisted. Anyways, there was a big storm that was supposed to come later that evening, but it came earlier than expected."

My mind races back to the bright blue sky turning a dull gray color, and storm clouds banked up with a type of fury I've never seen before. The storm was menacing, and it released its wrath within the first hour of my party.

"I think it's important to note that a lot of my friends are supers, and a few of them had just come from a basketball game on campus," I shake my head as I recollect all of the warning signs. "So some of them were still wearing their meta wristbands. I suppose the darn things are water proof, too."

Karsyn hasn't interjected anything to interrupt me, but I can sense she has questions building up. She's biting her thumbnail, which indicates she's listening intently.