Chapter 20 - She's bonkers

Considering how much time Emily and I spent making preparations for this Thanksgiving, I'm surprised the actual Thanksgiving day went by in a blur. I think I spent most of the day worrying about Grayson and Karsyn, as did everyone else. I don't think I ate as much as I usually do at Thanksgiving, just because I was so out of it. It's not like I got a lot of sleep, either.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of returning to Corpus Christi today. Not just because I'm sleep deprived and I'm worried about driving, but also because I don't want to face Dr. Hayes about my assignment. I know Emily says she'll help me, but it's not fair to her that I got her into this mess and now she's having to help me out.

Let's not forget about the fact that my cousin and one of my best friends is in the hospital. How am I supposed to go back to college and pretend like everything in my life is normal? At least I have Emily to confide in, but my roommates don't have any idea of what I'm going through. Based on the comment Noah made about supers being freaks, I doubt he'd give a hoot about any of my super power related predicaments.

A knock on my door startles me out of my packing daze. My dad clears his throat as he enters the room, still in his t-shirt and pajama bottoms. Suddenly I'm back to staring at my bag, trying to clear my mind of all the chaos swirling around in my head.

"Are you sure you're okay to drive back today? You could stay another night."

I put on a sorrowful frown as I look over at him, "I'd love to stay, but we really have to be heading back. I'm scheduled to work tomorrow and Emily's got to get some materials together for tutoring."

Dad's eyebrows raise, "I didn't know you were working somewhere."

I shrug as I toss a t-shirt into my duffel bag, "Yeah, at Chick-Fil-A. Gotta pay the rent somehow."

Dad nods, "Right, right... it's just... Well I've been worried about your grades since you told us you were getting tutoring. Are you sure you're staying focused?"

I sigh, knowing where this conversation is going. "I'm doing my best, dad. I've got to work to pay the bills, and I'm going to tutoring to get help with my studies."

Dad leans against the door frame with a smug look. "I was referring to a different distraction, Beck."

Good luck getting out of that one, Becky. See ya!

I bite my bottom lip, trying to choose my next words carefully. Who am I kidding? He already knows what's going through my mind.

"Dad, look, I didn't know how to tell you..."

He crosses his arms over his chest before he interrupts me. "So it's that serious, huh?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to keep a headache from coming on. "I don't want to talk about this with you."

Dad chuckles, which admittedly throws me a curve ball. Am I not being busted for something here? Isn't he onto me about my poor academic career? Why is he laughing?

"I can go get mom instead, if you'd rather talk to her about it. Although, I think talking to your mom about your love life might be even more awkward than talking to your dad about it. I mean, I'm the one who had the birds and the bees talk with you-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I wave my hands, motioning for him to stop talking, "That's what this talk is about? My love life?"

Oh, I'm definitely back for this one, Becky boy.

"Dad, she's my tutor and my friend-"

Dad shakes his head, which makes me pause. "I don't have to be a mind reader to know that there's something going on between you two."