Chapter 15 - I can't wait for retirement

If I had the time to stop, gasp, and contemplate my life choices right now, I would. However, considering there's a possibility that all of The Undergrounds villains are chasing me, I simply throw the mask into the car on top of Emily's lap and dash towards my side of the truck.

When my truck's engine roars to life, I stomp my foot down on the gas pedal and speed down the streets. I look over at Emily in a panic, hoping she's regained consciousness, but I see that is not the case.

Ok, think, Beck, think...

Your inability to think is what got you into this mess in the first place.

Not helpful Reggie.

I can't take Emily back to my apartment to assess any damage. I know Noah is still there and I know he'll want an explanation for my second trip back to the apartment. Honestly, I'm not sure I could come up with another excuse. Besides, Emily will need to go back to her dorm to get her bag and I need to tell Jessie I found her. But if Emily isn't coherent by the time I get to her dorm in approximately five minutes, I'm going to have to come up with an excuse to tell Jessie why she can't come get her own stuff.

Hot biscuits, I've got it! I'll call Jessie and tell her to pack a bag for Emily so we can just swing by and get it. Then I'll go up to the dorm to get the bag, explain to her that I found Emily asleep at the university library and she's still sleepy, and that's why she's still in the car. When I park, I'll throw a blanket from my backseat on her just in case Jessie wants to come see Emily for herself.

I think I've got all the bases covered. With that all sorted out, I pull out my phone to call Jessie. She picks up on the second ring.

"Please tell me you found her."

I take a deep breath, "I found her in the university library. She was fast asleep over a history textbook."

Jessie sighs in relief, "Thank God. Are you bringing her back here?"

I nod my head, "I am. But do you think you could pack a bag for her so I can just swing by and get it and be on our way?" I'm hoping she'll say yes with no questions asked.

"Are you sure she's okay? Maybe I can come down to give you the bag so I can see if she needs anything."

I close my eyes and inwardly huff. "Yeah, sure, that works. See you in five minutes." With that I hang up.

At least I have a back up plan to cover up her suit. But I have no idea what to do when Jessie comes down to wake her up and she doesn't. When will the sting wear off?

Wait a second. Can I do the whole 'what're the odds' thing to Jenga herself?

"Alright, Jenga. What're the odds you'll wake up in the next three seconds?" Worth a shot, right?

She doesn't wake up.

Maybe I can give her a tiny shock to wake her up. That's really my only other option other than wishful thinking. As I focus on the road ahead of me, I build up a tiny bubble of energy between my right thumb and index finger and lightly touch Emily's shoulder. If this doesn't wake her up, I don't know what will.

The zap from my fingers makes Emily bolt upright with a gasp. I wince as she does so, because I know that couldn't have felt good. It might've actually felt worse than the sting.

After clutching on to the panic handle until her fingers turn white, Emily finally catches her breath. There's a pang of guilt in my chest as I watch her struggle, but I didn't know what else to do in my desperate state. She finally looks over at me, to see her least favorite sidekick - the one who just gave her the shock of her life.