Chapter 23 - No further questions, your honor

Emily's POV

"Cooper, I swear, if you put another ounce of gel in your hair, I'm going to scream." Kennedy threatens as she pulls her platinum blond hair into a tight high ponytail and zips up the front of her ruby red suit.

Matt chimes in as he's slipping on his black sneakers. His suit doesn't look much like a suit at all, but it was up to him. He chooses to wear a camouflage tight fitted t-shirt and black joggers that come to his ankles. "Why do you have to punish all of us for Cooper's hair care routine?"

Kennedy dramatically sighs, "Because you people are taking forever to get your suits on and this is not the time to be dilly-dallying! Beck's life is at stake! Em's life is at stake! And if we don't take this seriously and stay on top of the game, our lives are at stake! So get your acts together and get your heads on straight!"

I slowly walk into the room where my sidekicks always congregate before a planned mission - part of the headquarters I was promised when I signed on with the city. As I take in the sight of my usual study group students, I allow a bittersweet smile to come to my face. Usually, I'm in the midst of them when it comes to getting ready. It's not necessary for me to suit up tonight, though, since I'm supposed to be Emily, not Jenga. Typically, we suit up, we work out or stretch, and we give each other pep talks when necessary. But tonight, I can barely think clearly, let alone give a pep talk. To hear them all bickering like normal makes me hope that this is just another normal night of crime fighting.

But I still have a sinking feeling in my stomach that's telling me to release any hope I have.

Cooper notices me in the doorway when he spins on his heel to respond to the others. He also wears solid black joggers, and he likes to wear tightly fitted long-sleeve shirts so that no one can identify him by the tattoos on his arms. 

Cooper quickly swallows whatever insulting thing he was going to retort to Kennedy. Kennedy, Matt, and Piper turn to see what he's looking at, and suddenly I'm supposed to have some great speech ready because they're all looking towards me expectantly.

"First of all, no one's life is at stake. I fell from a roof a week ago and I still made it out alive. This team," I take a minute to gather my thoughts because I'm trying to stay positive for them. "This team lives. We stare death in the face and laugh. We look at adversity and scoff. But you guys have to stay focused, you hear me? I've got your backs, but you have to promise me you've got mine too. We win when we give all we've got."

They nod along, but I know it's hard to take me seriously when my hands are shaking. I'm honestly, truthfully scared. And I can't show it.

The last time I was truthfully scared wasn't all that long ago, actually, but I was at least by myself when it happened. It was the day some villain in a dark hoodie was chasing me through the city, and eventually, onto a roof's ledge. He could fly, and he had saved that fact until I was sure I had lost him by turning into an alley, and he suddenly whisked me up under my arms and brought me up to the roof for a battle. I didn't get to put up a fight for long before he managed to kick his foot into the back of my knee and then finish me off with a kick to the stomach. I plummeted to my death for what seemed like an eternity, and yet, it also went by so quick that I couldn't think of a way to change my fate. My mind went blank and all I could do was stare into the bright blue sky, filled with wisps of white clouds.

But unknowingly, Beck saved me. He's been saving me since that day. Now that it's my turn to save him, I refuse to let him down. Kennedy was right - our lives are at risk. But I will not allow myself to dwell on things like that - that's literally in my job description. And as someone who cares for Beck, it's my responsibility to see he comes home with us tonight.