11. GOOD GUY

[ONE WEEK LATER]

Imagine Louis and I's surprise when we got a call from the principal saying that both of our foster children were in his office.

"What could they have possibly done?" I asked, looking at Louis with wide eyes while we both tried to find something to wear. The impression we gave off was important. It needed to say, sure we're nine and eleven respective years older than the oldest child we're fostering, but that doesn't mean we can't take care of them.

It was a lot of pressure for clothing to handle.

"I don't know," Louis groaned. "Karter's a bit of a hot head so I can kind of imagine something from him, but from Keenan?"

"Yeah, I don't know," I sighed. I straightened out my blouse and adjusted my pants, before stepping into a pair of flats. Heels were out of the question because of my prosthetic. "Tell me I look fine?"

"You look lovely," Louis laughed, pausing his frantic dressing to kiss my cheek.

Louis ended up with a button-down shirt under his sweater, leaving the collar to poke out. He pulled on black jeans and black sneakers to go with it. "And I look fine?"

"You look good," I said, giving him a once over.

"Good?" Louis asked. "I gave you lovely, and all I get back is good?"

"Oh, hush. You're handsome and you know it. Come on, though, we need to go."

-

Louis and I walked side by side into the school. We had been there once, to sign the paperwork to enroll the kids into classes.

We found the office easily. The secretary seemed to recognize us. "Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson?"

"That's us," I said with a small smile.

"Where's principle Crow's office?" Louis asked. The secretary pointed to the door right in front of us, with the name tag Crow at the top of it. "Oh."

"I didn't see it either," I whispered. Louis looked at me and stifled his laughter. He and I walked up to the door and pushed he pushed it open.

I was not prepared for the scene I was walking into.

Karter was sitting in one chair with an ice pack on his cheek. Keenan was sitting as close to him as she could while staying in her own chair. There was another teenage boy sitting across the small office. He also had an ice pack. A man that looked like the other boy was standing, shouting at Mr. Crow, the principal. Mr. Crow was not shy about shouting back.

"Ah, yes, the Tomlinsons. Thank you so much for coming," Mr. Crow said. Louis nudged me in further and then shut the door behind us.

The small office was not big enough for seven people, but there were seven people in it anyway.

"Took you long enough," the man grumbled. I looked at him and tried not to laugh in his face. Mature, Mickey. Keep it together. Don't laugh.

"Uh, yeah," Louis said. "what's all of this?" he gestured vaguely to the entire room.

"From what I've gathered," Mr. Crow started, "Adam knocked Keenan's books out of her hands in the hallway and called her... something I cannot repeat in front of these children... so Karter hit him, and then they started fighting."

Louis and I looked at each other quickly, and then looked back at Mr. Crow.

"My son wouldn't knock her books out of her hands on purpose or call her whatever these two are claiming he did."