21. DRUNK

[TWO WEEKS LATER]

Drunk: affected by alcohol to the extent of losing control of one's faculties or behavior.

Drunk: exactly what we told Keenan and Karter not to become when we let them go to a christmas-break-has-started party.

"Now," I said, looking between both teenagers. They stood next to the door, itching to leave. "Your phones are charged?"

"Yes," they chorused.

"And you're going to text us when you get there?" Louis asked.

"Yes," they repeated.

"And are you sure you don't want a sweater?" I asked, eyebrows raised at Keenan.

She had a skintight black top tucked into a pair of brown loose fitting jeans. Her black "stomp on the patriarchy" combat boots were on her feet.

Luckily, Karter had a flannel pulled over his simple hoodie and jeans. I knew he would give it to her if she asked for it.

"I'm fine," she said quickly.

"It's winter," Louis reminded.

"We live in LA," Keenan quipped back.

Karter twirled the keys of the rover around on his fingers, a subtle reminder that they wanted to leave.

"Fine," I laughed, "go. Have fun."

"Okay," Karter said. He opened the door and stepped outside of it in the span of a second.

"Wait," Louis said quickly. The kids stopped and looked back at us, exasperated. "We told you not to drink. But, if you do decide to anyways, just call us? We'll pick you up and we won't be mad about it."

"Go," I said, ushering them out. They quickly left and shut the door before we could stop them.

I turned around and looked at Louis.

"How much trouble are they going to get into?"

"Donno, love, how much trouble would we have gotten into?"

"I should start putting together their bail funds," I laughed. Louis giggled and pulled me into him. He spun and lifted me up onto the kitchen counter.

"We've got-" Louis glanced down to check his imaginary watch, "-at least an hour."

"And what are you suggesting we do?" I asked, arching one eyebrow. Louis pulled me off the counter and held me up with his large hands under my thighs. He was already walking by the time he answered.

"Easier to show you than to explain."

-

An hour later, we were panting breathlessly next to each other in our bed.

I turned my head to look at him.

"Why are you smiling like that, dork?" Louis asked. I rolled over to put my head on his chest.

"It's nothing," I giggled.

"Kind of creepy, to be laughing like that for no reason," Louis laughed. He ran his hand through my blonde hair and tapped his fingers against the bare skin of my back.

"I'm just in love with you, that's all," I said.

"That's what has you smiling like a goof?" he asked.

"Yes, thank you very much," I said. Louis laughed into my hair. We laid together for a minute in silence, listening to each other's breathing.

"Do you ever wish we could have a baby?" Louis asked quietly. I looked up into his eyes. His blue, blue eyes.