20. FLICKER

[THREE DAYS LATER]

Louis and I rode together to the school to pick the kids up. Until we could be sure that Jakob would stop showing up at their high school, we wanted to pick them up. Keenan and Karter, surprisingly, had no argument about it at all.

I imagined they were happy that we cared enough.

Louis walked into the school to grab the kids. I stayed behind in the car, because if Jakob saw me who knew what kind of hell would break loose.

What he would do, or what I would do.

The doors opening snapped me out of my thoughts.

"How was school?" I asked, looking back between Keenan and Karter.

"It was stupid," Karter said. I raised my eyebrows.

"Why?" Louis asked.

"Because the administration is trying to put me in stupid kid classes," Karter grumbled.

"Why?" I asked this time. Karter sighed and flopped back into his seat.

"Because I have ADHD and I can't focus in class," Karter grumbled. Louis and I made eye contact.

His face said did you know?

Mine said no, I was hoping you did.

"You have ADHD?" I asked casually.

"That's what the nurse and counselor have been trying to tell me," Karter said.

"Aren't they supposed to talk to us?" Louis asked, talking more to me than to Karter. I shrugged cluelessly.

"Oh, this should be good," Keenan mumbled. Karter nudged her.

"I told them not to call you," Karter said. He knew Louis and I were about to ask why, so he continued. "They've been on my ass about it since I started there because it was in my transcripts or something. I told them there was no reason to tell you because you guys were busy and usually foster parents don't care about stuff like that anyways."

"Well, we do care," Louis said. He turned out of the school parking lot and started the route to our house. "They have medications for ADHD, yeah?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to be on meds," Karter mumbled.

"Dude," Keenan mumbled.

"What? You hardly take yours anyway," Karter said. Louis and I looked at each other again.

Keenan's prescriptions were for depression, anxiety, and panic disorders. I knew that because for some time, I was on the same ones. They were important to regulate the chemical balance in her head. Without them, she was all messed up.

I knew it because I didn't like to take my prescriptions either.

"Shut up, Karter," Keenan mumbled.

"If you feel like you have to keep it a secret you obviously know you shouldn't be doing it," Karter argued. "Mickey, Louis, tell her she needs to take her meds."