12. ONLY ANGEL

The next day, the boys found out about the trouble Keenan and Karter were in. They all instantly tried to jump to their defense. Louis and I talked them down, saying that three days out of school would be good for them anyways.

Currently, Zayn was in our living room talking to Keenan about Harry Potter, and how her hair reminded him of Hermione Granger. He had to leave in a few hours, back to his fiancée. In the meantime, he talked to our foster daughter.

Karter watched them from the kitchen, eyes locked on the back of Zayn's head. It was kind of creepy.

Louis and I were sitting at the island. Karter was leaned against it on Louis' other side.

Then, Liam walked in through the kitchen door. Karter's concentration broke, and he looked at him. "Oh, hey."

"Hey," Liam said back, "heard you got in a bit of trouble."

"Yeah," Karter said distractedly. Liam looked to Louis and I. I nodded my head behind us. Liam moved to where he could see the living room, and then instantly had a look of understanding.

"You knocked out his tooth?" Liam checked.

"I did," Karter said. "Did Mickey tell you I wanted to keep it?"

"No," Liam laughed softly. Karter looked away from Keenan to him for a moment. "That's kind of cool, honestly."

"It was dumb," Karter said, "the whole situation was bogus."

"I'm not going to say you're wrong," Liam said. "It's good that you protected your sister though. You shouldn't have had to, but it's nice that you did."

Karter sighed. He watched Keenan and Zayn for another second, before turning around to face Liam.

"Shouldn't have had to," Karter repeated quietly, looking at Liam. Liam smiled weakly and nodded his head.

Karter looked to me, then. He searched my face, and then looked to Louis. He sighed and flipped around to face his sister again.

He wanted to trust us, but he couldn't.

He shouldn't have had to be on guard all the time.

Keenan and Zayn walked into the kitchen, then. Keenan stood next to Karter, facing the other way. Karter ruffled her hair. Keenan, clearly annoyed by the gesture, ducked away. He turned to face the same direction.

Liam and Zayn stood on one side of the counter while the kids, Louis and I were on the other.

"What are you lot going to do?" Zayn asked, looking at our family.

"Don't know yet," Louis said, "maybe rob a bank or something."

"Go big or go home," Liam said with a shrug.

"No but seriously," Keenan laughed. She looked down at Louis and I.

"Probably nothing," I said.

"I might try to get a bit of writing in," Louis said.

"Oh, cool," Keenan said.