19. DON'T LET IT BREAK YOUR HEART

True to his word, Louis handled the kids. I woke up in the morning to his full report of the night before.

First, Louis had to explain my panic attacks to the kids. They were few and far between these days, but they still happened. I had managed to find the right prescriptions, and I've done a lot of growing up, so they faded almost to the point of not existing.

Louis then got more information about Jakob. With the numbers provided to us, we figured out that Karter was born two years before I was sold into human trafficking. Jakob's girlfriend at time was concerned for her children's safety, so she left with the kids in the middle of the night.

But Jakob had already told me that. When Louis told me, it only cemented the fact that the Jakob Smith I lived with and Keenan and Karter's father were the same person.

That was the other thing. Louis, very cautiously, explained my history with their father. From the bullet wound, to the abuse, to my disappearance. All of it.

I walked downstairs the next morning to find my family in the kitchen, preparing a giant breakfast.

"What's all this?" I asked, smiling softly. Louis, Keenan and Karter were standing together in the kitchen, working around each other.

"Breakfast," Karter said simply.

"For a family of fifteen?" I asked.

"Niall and Harry are coming," Louis said.

"Oh, really?" I asked. "Was this something I was supposed to know?"

"No, we invited them like half an hour ago," Keenan said. "Can I have that? Thanks. Anyways, they should be over here in a few," she said, expertly moving around Louis and Karter to do what she wanted.

"Awesome," I said, nodding my head.

"Awesome is a very American word," Louis said.

"We're in America," Karter said.

"That's true," I agreed, "do you guys need any help or-?"

"No," Keenan said immediately. "We're okay, you can just sit and relax." I looked between the three of them with raised eyebrows. Then, I sat at the island.

"Talk me through it. What's up with Jakob? What's the plan?" I asked.

"I've already got Sarah starting the adoption paperwork. And Jeremy Fletcher from legal is working on restraining orders to keep him away from the school," Louis said. "The plan is to make sure he doesn't get any kind of guardianship or legal authority over the kids."

"Do you think he knows where we live?" Keenan asked suddenly, looking up from the pan of eggs she was cooking.

There was a knock on the door. All four of our heads snapped to it.

Niall and Harry walked though. We immediately sighed and exhaled in relief.

"Hey," Niall said.

"Why do you all look spooked?" Harry asked.

"It's nothing," Karter said.

(nothing: the kids we're fostering are the biological children of the man that sold me into human trafficking. said man now knows that louis and i are fostering them, and he wants to take them back.)

"Smells good," Niall said, changing the subject. He sat down next to me and kissed the top of my head. "Hey, Mick."

"Hey, Ni," I said softly. I held my hand out to Harry and he walked over to me. He grabbed my hand, kissed it, and then sat on my other side. "Hey, Har."