Unbreakable

Whether I wanted them to or not, the days slowly passed by and before I knew it, Christmas was coming up.

   I wish that I could say that school was going much better, that I was making friends and socializing with others.

But it wasn't happening.

   Callie and Arizona still didn't trust me enough to leave me alone in the apartment once school was done so I still spent a lot of time at the hospital. I didn't mind too much though, it was fine and there was always someone around if I needed help with homework which was nice.

   Today's school day had started off normal. I showed up, waited for Mrs. Martin to take attendance, and then forced myself through my morning classes.

   I figured that the rest of the day would go as usual. However, while I was sitting alone at a table during lunch in the cafeteria, from the corner of my eye, I saw a few kids from my English class start to walk up to me.

   I brushed it off, not wanting to get my hopes up like the pathetic loser I was. They were probably just walking by anyway.

I was wrong though.

"Hey."

   I looked up, wide-eyed, to see a group of three kids standing in front of me. I recognized two of them from my English class but the third one looked older, maybe a tenth grader.

"Hey," I raised an eyebrow while I waited for them to say something else.

   They took a seat at the table I was sitting at, all three of them swinging a leg over the bench and setting their trays in front of them.

"So I'm having a party Friday night," The older one said, "You're welcome to come if you want."

A party? 

Me?

"Um...what's your name?" I asked, starting to pick at the crust of my sandwich.

   The one who invited me to the party looked almost offended that I didn't know who he was, even though there was no reason why I should.

Right?

"Easton," He replied though and nodded his head before jabbing fingers at the other two, "And that's Gwen and Ila."

   I nodded, "Oh...okay..."

Right...Gwen and Ila from English.

"So you're coming?" Easton asked, starting to look bored.

   I shrugged, "Yeah, I guess."

"Great," Easton smiled for the first time since sitting down, "Bring some of your friends too."

   I couldn't tell if he was making fun of the fact that I was friendless or if he was being serious. Either way, I wasn't going to bring anyone if I ended up going.

   With that, the three got up and picked up their trays, leaving me alone at the table.

What just happened?

~~~

   After school ended, I headed outside like usual and Alex picked me up to take me to the hospital. It was usually him, Callie, or Arizona that came but there was the one time Meredith came.

"Do I have to stay in the conference room again?" I asked Alex as we walked into the building. I didn't need crutches anymore but I was still using a knee brace while continuing physical therapy three times a week.

"Why?"

"It's starting to get boring," I admitted, "Same four walls for hours."