All I Want

"Summer, I'm cold," She whimpered, even though I had covered her with all of the blankets I had been able to find in the house, "And it hurts."

"I know," I soothed, knowing that in a few minutes she'd be crying about it being too hot. "But it's okay, you're okay."

   Maybe she couldn't hear it, but I had heard the slight quiver in my voice. I had heard a slight slip in my confidence. The truth was that I was terrified because I didn't know if I was doing this right or not.

"Can you sing to me?" Her eyes begging.

I smoothed back some strands of sweaty hair on her forehead and smiled.

"Of course."

~~~

The first thing I noticed was the pain.

   The radiating pain coming from my entire body. My head was pounding so hard I could barely breathe.

   Hesitantly, I opened one eye before immediately shutting it right afterwards. The lights were far too bright for them.

Lights?

   Curiosity got the better of me and I reluctantly forced myself to keep my eyes open long enough for them to adjust to the light. I then looked around at my new surroundings.

It wasn't rocket science that I was currently in a hospital.

   I started panicking as I realized so many things at once. My one leg was elevated and wrapped up, making me wonder what happened.

"Oh good, you're awake," A doctor with blond hair had finally walked into the room and quickly hurried to my side. "We were hoping the anesthesia would wear off soon."

Anesthesia?

"How do you feel?" She asked and smiled widely.

"Where am I?" I croaked out, ignoring her question and asking mine. 

The doctor smiled softly, "Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital. Do you remember what happened?"

   At those words, I closed my eyes and racked my brain, trying to come up with any idea why I might be at a hospital.

"The bus," my mouth dropped as I remembered the bus tipping, "Is everyone else okay?"

   I didn't need the doctor to tell me anything. I could tell right from her eyes that it wasn't good. She had expressive eyes, just like me.

"Let's just focus on you right now," She told me finally and even though she didn't confirm any of my thoughts vocally, the way she avoided my question spoke louder than the words she would have had to say.

I nodded slowly, cringing slightly at the pain.

"What hurts?" The doctor asked and pulled out a light before leaning over and shining it in my eyes.

   My natural reaction was to shy away from it, not wanting to face the discomfort, just like how I ran so I wouldn't have to feel the pain.

"My head," I mumbled quietly.

"Well, your pupils are still equal which is good," She told me and I managed to get a quick glimpse of her name sewn into her doctor's coat along with a couple of animal patches.