Falling

Your gut instinct, also known as intuition, is when you immediately know something.

You just know.

There's no need to think about it.

Trust your gut.

   That's what they say, but then there's always that second voice in your head that tells you otherwise. It's the second voice that often messes with your head, which makes you doubt if you're actually as sure as you feel.

This brings me to where I am now.

It was starting to get dark but I was still trying to find my way back to Seattle Grace.

Why?

Here's an example of your gut instinct in action.

   My knee was hurting, pretty bad actually. I like to think that I have a pretty high pain tolerance and will usually refrain from admitting that I'm in pain, but I would admit that my knee was in pain. When I unwrapped the dressing on it, my knee was red and swollen. My intuition was telling me that something was wrong.

   The thing is though, Dr. Torres had told me that swelling and pain were to be expected after my knee surgery and so my mind was telling me that all that redness and pain was normal.

That's the second voice.

   However, I ignored the second voice, as hard as it was, and was now trying to find my way back to the hospital. I mean, my knee was also oozing a strange yellow substance and that also pushed me to go.

   It was rather ironic actually because I originally was trying to get out of that place and now here I was, trying to get back in.

   Somehow, I managed to recognize a few landmarks that I had passed when I stumbled to the blind alley yesterday and I felt a sense of assurance, knowing that I was at least going the right way.

When I finally found the hospital, I nearly laughed out of relief.

   The sun had set now but there was no way hospitals weren't open 24/7 so I tried to read the signs, attempting to figure out where the ER was.

   I was tired and my judgement was clearly clouded but I still managed to get myself to the ER floor.

Walking in, I felt myself tense up and I nearly walked right back out.

   Even at this time of the day, there were a lot of people in the ER and my stomach was starting to feel queasy.

   I was too busy looking around at all the people, completely lacking focus on where I was going which lead me to walk right into someone.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I said, completely rattled by what I did, "I'm so sorry, I was totally not watching where I was going."

I looked up at who I had bumped into and realized that it was actually a doctor.

A redhead.

She gave me soft smile, "That's okay."

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out so I quickly changed to an awkward smile.

"Um, is something wrong?" The doctor eyed my wrapped knee and the crutches, "Can I help?"

I now had a good view of the name on the lab coat.

Dr. April Kepner.

"Hello?"

I realized I had been staring and blushed.

"Yes, I uh," I leaned on my good leg so that I could free a hand to scratch behind my ear, "I think there's something wrong with my knee. I mean, obviously, there's something wrong but I mean, something wrong besides what's already wrong."