37 - Barry

"So they keep money out here?" Pope questioned as we drove in the direction of the warehouse

"That's what she said." JJ laughed to himself. "That's what she said."

"Stop." Pop shut him down before he could say anything else.

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive." Sarah said, turning back to face us from the passenger's seat.

"Cause you're rich." JJ muttered as he played with my hair that laid on his lap.

"You've never heard of it either." I argued, looking up at him.

"Thank you." Sarah smiled at me.

"There's nothing but weeds back here." Kie pointed out as she looked out the window.

"All right, just cause it's just weeds, doesn't mean it's, like..." JJ was cut off by a cop car's siren going off behind us.

"Cops? Out here?" I questioned, lifting my head off of JJ's lap to see the cop car tailing us.

"God! Are you kidding me?" JJ shouted angrily.

"What did we do? Why are we getting pulled over?" Sarah questioned.

"Stash that." I took the gold out of JJ's hands and began wrapping it up in the cloth.

"Did you bring the gun?" John B questioned as he pulled over the van.

"No. Okay? Everybody told me to leave it back at the place." JJ shrugged.

"Thank God. Please, everything else in your bag." Kie rushed him.

"I am! I am, all right?" JJ shouted back as he stuffed everything into his bag, including the gold he snatched back from me.

"How much weed do you have on you, bro?"

"He's walking up." I warned JJ as he shoved his bag under his seat and pulled me on top of him so that I was sitting on his

I heard a gun being loaded and turned my head to see a man wearing a bandana covering his face holding a gun to John B's face. "Why don't I go ahead and see them hands in the air? All y'all's hands up in the air now!" The man screamed at us.

"You, out of the car! Let's go! Out of the car! Let's go! Hurry!" John B slowly opened his door and climbed out with his hands in the air. "Let them out! What are you waitin' on? What are you waitin' on? Let them out!"

I tried to control my breathing as John B walked around the front of the van and slid open Sarah's side door. "All y'all! Go on! Go on! Let's get out the car! Let's go!"

Sarah was the first to climb out as I hesitantly followed after turning to look at JJ one last time. "There you go, pretty girl."

John B protectively pulled Sarah and I behind him as the man ushered the rest of the group out of the van. "Here we go! Get out of the car, let's go! Hurry up! There you go!"

"We're broke-" JJ attempted to reason with him but only got a gun pointed at him.

"Shut the hell up!"

"All right! Just relax!" JJ shouted, at this point too heated to remain calm.

"Shut the hell up! Shut up! I'll blow your damn head off!" The man shoved JJ back with the gun.

"Lay down in the ditch! Lay down in the ditch! On your goddamn hands and knees!" He continued to shout as we all got down on the mud filled ground. "Put your face on the ground! Stay here just like that! Put your head down!"

Tears threatened to slip as I held my hands over my head. I hesitantly looked to my right to see JJ staring right back at me and could make out him mouthing It's gonna be okay. "Don't let me see you look up! All right? That's all y'all gotta do."

"It's a setup, guys." Kie's voice trembled once the man went to go search the van.

"That old bat shanked us." JJ slammed his hand against the dirt. "Fuck! God Dammit!"

From the corner of my eye I could make out John B slowly standing up from the ground. "John Booker. Whatever the hell you think you're doing, think again."

"Don't be a hero, man." Pope begged but John B shushed him as he made his way over to the police car and climbed into the backseat.

It wasn't long until the man climbed back out of the van with the gold. "All right, y'all stay like that. Unless you want your brains blown out all over this road, don't move your goddamn heads, okay?"

Not being able to turn away, I watched intently as he walked back to his car. A few seconds later, I heard commotion inside of the car but because I was still laying on the ground, I couldn't see much. It wasn't until John B jumped out of the car with something in his hand that I got up from the ground. "Guys, I got the gun!"

JJ immediately went to John B's aid as the man got out of the car and slammed the door into him. Before he could react, John B rammed the gun into the man's back, knocking him to the ground. "I got the gold!" Pope called out.

Sarah grabbed onto the drivers side door and slammed it into the man multiple times as he tried to get up. "You son of a bitch!" Kie shouted as she kicked him.

John B pulled down the man's bandana as we all caught our breath. "I know this piece of shit! He's a basehead!" JJ shouted.

"Probably knows my brother." Sarah muttered, running his fingers through her hair.

"He sells coke to my dad." JJ hissed, grabbing the gun out of John B's hands.

"Listen, I couldn't hurt any single one of y'all-" Before he could finish, JJ rammed the end of the gun into the man's stomach.

"JJ! Calm down." I insisted, slightly tugging on his arm.

"Come on, let's get outta here." Pope agreed, backing up from the scene at hand.

Instead, JJ reached into the man's pockets and pulled out his wallet. He searched through it before pulling out his ID and threw the wallet back at the man, Barry. "We got one last stop. Let's go see where this son of a bitch lives."

"I'm gonna remember this shit!" Barry shouted as JJ pushed past everyone. "You can't hide from me! I know exactly who y'all are! You're gonna see me again! You hear me?"

I waited for John B as he chucked Barry's keys into the woods. "Come on, everyone's waiting on us." I told him before we both jumped into the van.

"You hear me? I'mma see you again!" That was the last thing I heard before JJ drove off to wherever he was taking us.